Chapter 22: Whistling For A Kiss

My hair splayed out around my head like a golden halo. We lay on the ground trying to point out different shapes in the clouds. It was our favorite activity ever since we were little kids. We were older now so it was just something to pass the time.

I giggled when he tried to convince me that a fluffy cloud looked like a dragon. It clearly resembled a bunny rabbit. We had grass stains all over our previously ironed clothes. My mother would give us another stern lecture about it. We were too old to be yelled at for stains.

Lunch had already passed. We were sharing a bowl of red, juicy strawberries that were dripping all over our shirts. Logan wasn't really fond of the fruit but they were my favorite. He wouldn't complain about eating them.

He harshly plucked up two blades of grass and pressed them together. He placed them between his lips. A light red lock of hair fell into his eye as he gently blew air through them.

High pitched whistling pierced the silent air. A twang of jealousy settled in the pit of my stomach. No matter how many times he tried to teach me and how many times I tried, I was a lost cause. I couldn't whistle whether it was with blades of grass or just my lips.

"Don't worry, Ari, you will get it one day," he offered encouragingly.

But it seemed like I would never feel the air rushing through my lips and hear the resulting melodic tune.

He rolled over clutching his stomach with laughter at my fifth failed attempt to whistle. My cheeks burned with embarrassment before I smacked him in the back of his head for making me feel bad. I quickly stood up and stormed off into the woods leaving him behind me.

Stupid jerk. I couldn't believe he had the nerve to laugh at me! He was supposed to be my best friend. Well he would regret making fun of me tomorrow when I'm not speaking to him. That would show him.

I stopped grumbling around and sat down on a log just near the edge of the woods. I was too far deep into my thoughts about plotting against Logan that I hadn't noticed someone sit down next to me.

"You are holding your lips all wrong."

"Excuse me?" I asked, turning to look at the stranger.

I nearly jumped out of my skin when the voice spoke. But the feeling of fear didn't take hold of me when I looked up into his eyes. There was a sense of familiarity somewhere but at the same time something else deep inside me that I just couldn't place.

"You are supposed to put your lips together like you are going to kiss someone. Make sure you curl your tongue a little inside your mouth."

"I have never kissed someone," I awkwardly admitted to the boy.

His lips curled up into a smile, "I find it hard to believe that a beautiful girl like yourself has never been kissed."

I slowly shook my head already feeling the blood rushing to my face. I knew a bright red tinge was settling onto my face.

"Well we will have to change that then. We can't have you going around not being able to whistle or having never been kissed."

"We can't?" I asked excitedly.

"No."

He gradually leaned in and pressed his peach lips against mine. The kiss only lasted a couple seconds but it left a lasting impression on me. He tasted like peppermint. I was sure he could taste the strawberries on my lips.