28. latibule

The light reflected from the gems brilliantly, clearly showing their value and hefty price. The store clerk eyed the three Avengers observing the jewels anxiously, but she wasn't noticed. The Avengers had more pressing matters on their hands.

"She wouldn't want something too flashy." Steve muttered to Bucky.

"I know that, it's just... they all look flashy..." Bucky mumbled as he stared at the rings in the glass display.

"Just go with your gut man." Sam reassured, "I'm sure she won't even care 'bout the ring, as long as it's you."

Bucky knew that, of course. Anastasia didn't care what she got, as long as there was effort and thought behind it, then even the simplest of gifts were accepted and cherished. However, this wasn't a gift. It was more than that, so much more. He wanted it to be perfect for her.

"What about that one?" Steve suggested, pointing at a gorgeous, simple ring with a round diamond.

Bucky frowned and shook his head. "It... doesn't fit her."

"What would fit Ana?" Sam inquired cluelessly. Bucky thought long and hard about it, in fact the question bothered him all week. He still hadn't  found an answer though.

It was when he reached a part of the store that displayed more antique rings did he finally found it.

"Vintage." he answered, "something vintage."

They spent another half an hour going through all the rings, and after so many, Bucky felt like he finally found the perfect one.

As they exited the store, Steve said, "you're really doing this huh?"

"Yeah..." Bucky whispered, staring at the velvet box in his hand. He smiled to himself, imagining the look on Anastasia's face when she saw it, though he was also absolutely terrified of the outcome. There was a chance Anastasia would say 'no' and claim they were moving too fast.

"You two deserve each other." said Sam, "but if you make her cry I will rip out your arm and kill you with it. I don't care if you're a super soldier."

"I'm sure it wouldn't come to that..." Steve said in a slightly nervous yet amused tone.

"It definitely won't." Bucky agreed, feeling more than offended Sam would think that he'd do something like that.

➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳

It was a Sunday morning and both Anastasia and Bucky were busy relaxing. All the Avengers were on missions except for them, which was very convenient. After all, Bucky planned to propose to her tonight, when they were alone. To say he was nervous was an understatement.

"Bucky, could you get my phone for me?" Anastasia requested as she was busy cooking breakfast for the two of them, "it's in my room."

"Yeah, sure." said Bucky, entering Anastasia's now-familiar room. The first place he checked was her desk, but when it wasn't there - which it usually was - Bucky found himself searching the entire room for it.

When he opened her nightstand drawer though, he stilled completely, because instead of finding a phone in there, he found something that confused him and scared him.

A gun.

He picked it up and inspected it carefully. It felt heavy yet awfully familiar in his hand. The gun was brand-new, and fully loaded too. It was a standard gun all agents have, but Anastasia wasn't an agent.

He didn't understand why there would be a gun in her bedroom, and so close to her bed. Anastasia hated violence, and hurting people in general. So why did she have a gun?