Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Kelly bounds through the door. The harsh wind whips around his shoulders, thick strands of his hair wiggling across his neck like silky snakes. His smile stretches from ear to ear, and his bold eyes sweep over the living room until landing on me.

I'm settled near the corner, huddled beneath a fuzzy blanket and trying to stay awake long enough to finish the assigned chapters from class.

"I have news," he shouts at me from across the room.

He takes a slow step through the doorway. I crane my neck to the side and raise a brow expectantly. To be honest, I'm surprised to see him. Glad, of course, but still – surprised.

"I didn't think I'd see you today," I admit. "With it being your first day of college and all."

Kelly plops down on the couch and digs his cellphone from out of his pocket. His foot is bouncing so fast it's making me nervous. He reaches over and tousles my hair.

"We always chill after our first day of school," Kelly counters. "I'm not about to let that tradition go out of style."

I grin and push his hand away, secretly pleased he didn't forget.

"So what's the big news?" I ask, setting my book aside.

Kelly presses a few buttons on this phone before turning it around and shoving it in my face. A picture is displayed on the screen of his phone. It's a candid shot, taken in class from the looks of it. A red haired beauty is glancing towards the front of the class, her body angled forward in preparation to take notes.

"And who is this?" I ask.

Kelly sighs and dramatically sprawls across the couch. He whistles low under his breath and glances up at the ceiling.

"That, my dear friend, is my future wife."

I snort and roll my eyes. Kelly isn't the girlfriend type. He goes on a few dates here and there, but he never dates anyone seriously. I glance down at the picture again, studying the soft dip in her cheeks and the natural pink kissing the tips of her cheeks.

She really is lovely.

"And what does she have to say about that?" I ask, tossing the phone back to him.

"Oh, I haven't introduced myself yet."

This time my snort turns into laughter. Kelly waves me off dismissively and continues to stare at the picture. This just makes me laugh harder.

"You're going to marry that girl," I say through gasps of breath. "And you don't even know her name."

Kelly turns towards me and smirks, a know-it-all look washing over his features. "All I said was that I haven't introduced myself yet."

I chuckle and shake my head. "Alright, alright. So what's the name of this red-haired vixen who will one day agree to put up with the likes of you for the rest of her life?"

Kelly sighs longingly and holds up the phone so I can see the picture once again. "Fiona. Her name is Fiona."

________________________________

The sudden memory floods my mind as Kelly ushers Bogdan to the door. Both of them put their hoods up, huddling together to identify the intruders. It feels like only yesterday since Kelly was rushing through my door to tell me about Fiona. Now he's rushing through a treehouse door to earn a blood bag for breakfast.