Chapter 7. After Rage

Scarlett

My knees hit the floor in shock at what I had done. Even though it had only been three years since I last escaped the life of a ruthless murderer, the memories were fresh and the taste of blood was evident. I could feel it in my bones, vibrating and humming within me, the ruthlessness I had once possessed. I stop breathing. My vision was fixated on the blood polling around the two dead bodies. My first kill in three years.

Rage, did you see it in me? The monster I had kept hidden all this time? Did you see how easy it was for me to raise the gun and kill them without a second thought? Didn't it look natural? Didn't you wonder if was it my first? Did you know I could kill someone for you? Was it at this moment you realised you had something precious in your life? Someone who could kill for you and lose another part of their soul for you? Was it why we continued doing what we did? Was it why you became the person I failed to see before?

I'll let you on a secret, Rage. A part of me dies from within every time I kill someone. But this one time, this one fucking time I had zero regrets. I killed to save someone and to save myself. I did not kill because I had to. I did not kill because Zaine told me to. I killed because the moment I peeked from behind that counter, I felt rage.

I felt you and I felt your pain. I was not going to sit, hiding behind that counter like a damsel in distress, when I was the villain of my story. I was not trying hard enough to hide who I am from you, even though I should have. I don't think ill ever be able to tell you how I did it or why I did it. I just did it because I could and I would again, without a second thought and without any hesitation or regret.

The monster within me, grabbed the machine gun, an AK-47 assault rifle, with a skill so brutally engraved in me from a young age, I shot them dead, one and then two. The weight of the gun barely felt anything when my knees hit the floor.

The ringing in my ears didn't stop, I heaved, trying to control the emotions burling inside me. A self-hatred so brutal I failed to see how the conclusion of this moment could have been any different, it could have been our demise otherwise.

And trust me Rage, I wanted to live a long happy life.

It wasn't until you appeared in my vision when a loud thunder strike, enlightened your face for a second. Your beautiful face turned pale with the blood loss from your wound when you shook me, the ringing almost immediately stopped, the warmth of your hands enveloping me, bringing me back to life. I inhaled sharply through my mouth, not having realised that I stopped breathing.

"Scar, come back to me." You whispered urgently. I blinked and looked towards the entrance of the diner as another black jeep halted abruptly in front of the diner splashing water everywhere. It started raining, the first rain of the year. How convenient...

I exhaled slowly through my mouth and knew two was not the number of final kills I would be making tonight. Hopefully, once this is over, you would be alive to bring me back to the present again.

Putting my hand on your shoulder, I pushed you down, you easily went having been in pain. I aimed the machine gun at the jeep, the men who were just stepping out, quickly got back in as I sprayed a round of twenty-five bullets (yes I counted).

"Did you bring your car?" I asked as I grabbed your hand and pulled you beside me crawling towards one of the benches closest to the entrance.

"Yes." You grimaced, I had forgotten in the urgency of ducking to safety that you are hurt. Your hands clutched tightly at your wound, the red of your blood soaking your white shirt. I looked up from behind the bench to see the men piling out from the other side of the car, ready with their guns to attack us behind the safety of their black jeep.