Chapter Ten.

Please, comment guys (:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Dakota Aniston

~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~

“What’s this?”

My attention wandered away from my suitcase and over to my doorway. My mom stood halfway inside my room, a thin, white paper between her fingers. She watched me steadily from over her black glasses.

“What’s this?” She repeated and crossed the distance from the door to my bed, waving the paper lightly in my face.

“My paycheck.” I said and continued to fold up the t-shirt I had in my hands, placing it in my suitcase.

Mom pursed her lips. “Why was it on my desk?”

I shrugged. After my shift last night, I snuck down to find my mom asleep on her desk in the study. Figuring she had been working late, I slipped my check onto the open folder still in her hands. I haven’t seen much of my parents lately, for my mom has been working extra hours in order to pay for our bills while my father is out most of the time, searching for a new job.

“Dakota,” My mom sighed and slid down onto the edge of my bed, watching me pack the rest of my clothes, including three bathing suits.

“Mom,” I matched her tone. “I’m giving it to you, put it toward the bills.”

Mom shook her head forcefully, her similar blonde hair falling out of its defined bun. “I don’t want your money, Dakota.” She began to hand me the check, trying to slip it under my palm.

I closed my fist up quickly, refusing. “You need it.”

I really only got the job so I could make some money and help my parents with the bills. We’ve been running tight lately, and I’ve figured it could give my mom a break from working if she had some extra money.

“No, I don’t.” She demanded, standing up from the bed. She stopped my hands from zipping up the suitcase, and turned me around to face her. “Honey, I have it under control, you really don’t need to worry.”

“I want to help.”

“I know you do.” She sighed again, quietly. Her matching green eyes rose up to click against my own. “But, please, do me a favor. Keep your money and put it toward college.”

“But-“

My mom brought up her hand and silenced my protests. She cupped my face, “Promise me.”

I frowned deeply, and crossed my arms stubbornly. “Promise.” I muttered.

“Good.” She grinned and placed a kiss on my forehead. She placed the check down on my dresser, before looking at me. “Almost ready to leave?” She asked me.

I nodded. It was now Thursday morning and after talking it out with Elijah, we made a deal on him picking me up early and driving down to the beach house together. His dad gave me the week off, (after pleading from both Elijah and I).

I woke up around six this morning, and got a shower, dressed in light, pink denim shorts and a black tank-top with my white flop flops. I was currently finished my packing and only waiting on Elijah to get here.

Typical of him to make me wait.

Mom was still grinning and had a hidden twinkle behind her eyes. I was afraid to know what she was thinking. “So, who’s this new Elijah fellow?”

I grimaced. “Mom, please don’t call him fellow.” I begged and shuddered. “And no one, he’s just my biology partner.”

Her eyebrows raised behind her glasses. “If he’s only your biology partner, why is he staying down at Stacey’s place for a week?”