The Land of Plenty

A long time ago, before the rise of man in the world, the earth was a paradise and home to many beings and creatures of all kinds

     A long time ago, before the rise of man in the world, the earth was a paradise and home to many beings and creatures of all kinds. White Magic flowed free upon the lands and seas like an invisible fog drifting wherever the need arose. The magic could not be used by all races or animals, only those that could see it, and it worked differently for each that did have the honor of its use. These were known as the magical folk throughout the lands. There were no wars and no threats of wars in that time and almost all enjoyed a good life of peace and prosperity. It was the time before the Fell Ice returned once again. It was the land of plenty. 

     The Elves were the most numerous people of the time and the strongest in the White Magic. For unlike most, the magic resided within them. Four great tribes lived together in those times. In a huge peaceful valley that would someday be called the Wolf Lands. They befriended the Dire Wolves that lived to the north of their realm in a forest that the wolves named the Wolfswood. The trees that grew there were the tallest and most beautiful the Elves had ever seen. When the Fell Ice came and covered the land it crushed the huge trees, grinding them into oblivion and erasing the Wolfswood from the world forever. But the Elves and Tundra Wolves, ancestors of the great Dire Wolves, would always remember the forest. The Elves called the Wolfswood, 'Agari Shea Nalas' . They called the huge trees that the wolves did not give name to the 'Nar Agari Sheaan'.

     The Dire Wolves called the whole of the Wolfswood their home. It was a mighty forest that stretched across the northlands from the Tallspines in the east to the Northern Sea in the west. Their packs hunted the large herds of bison, reindeer and would sometimes even bring down one of the huge mammoths that grazed on the plains that surrounded the great forest. The wolves became fast friends with the Elves for both races shared in the White Magic. To the Dire Wolves it was known as the Wild Wolf Magic, a much different magic from that of the Elves, but good magic just the same. The Dire Wolves shared in the bounty of the lands and befriended many different creatures of magic during their time in the Wolfswood, but all of that changed when the Fell Ice came.

     Many great packs of the Dire Wolves stayed in the Wolfswood when the cold came and the tall trees died around them. They stayed as the herds disappeared and so with them went their food and sadly the wolves starved. It became too late for them to leave and follow the few small packs that had traveled south ahead of the Ice. Those wolves that made their escape were gone from the Elves for turns uncounted, for the Elves had stayed behind to battle the killing ice from their Vales atop the mountains. The wolves did not count the thousands of long turns they were gone from the north because they did not care and the Elves did not count them for they lived forever. It was a grand reunion when the wolves returned after the ice had been defeated and sent back to its frozen kingdom. The Elves now called them Tundra Wolves.

     The wolves that returned were different from the wolves that had left the Wolfswood those many turns ago. They were still larger than the common gray wolf whose packs roamed all throughout the lands. The numerous grays were only cousins of the great Dire Wolves, the wolves that returned to the lands of what was once the Wolfswood were their true descendants. They were not as large as their ancestors, but they were still big and their fangs were long. The numerous packs that returned were large as they made their way home from the south lands. They came home to the Tundra, a vast frozen snowy plain where remnants of the Fell Ice still had a hold. The beloved Wolfswood their ancestors had roamed in was only a memory.