Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

Four

Chapter Four
• •

Why? Why him?

"You have made that very line my daily bread, son," Hart returned.

The other three exchanged stifled laughter while Ugly Narcissus smirked It off for all he cared.

"Alana!" Hart turned to me rather enthusiastically. "Human history is associated with three monkeys. One with the eyes closed. One with the ears closed and one with the mouth closed. However, in Greenwood, we have four. Behold, ye monkeys!" Hart sighed dramatically as he opened his arms to present the four late monkeys to me.

The class erupted with laughter.

Hart grinned along with the class. "Just thought you might want to know that."

Much to my nightmare, I noticed Ugly Narcissus' eyes fall on me. I dragged my gaze away as fast as possible but, he had seen me staring at him. From the corner of my eyes, I caught the smug expression plastered on his face and I mentally face-palmed myself.

If only he has trouble remembering things.

I didn't want to get associated with him in any way. If there was anything I wanted to do with him, then it would be to break his pretty face.

I sat stiffly, not moving the slightest bit, not turning my head in any direction or even blinking, trying to pretend he was a complete stranger – which he was but for the little incident that took place in the cemetery the day before.

Keeping my eyes straight on my notes, I listened to the fuss of them taking their places and I breathed in relief when Hart started to give us announcements. Until all of a sudden, I felt a kick at my feet under the chair from the back. I started at once and twisted my body backward.

Here goes my reflex reaction.

I saw him sitting right behind me, but he looked so lovingly innocent that it had me wondering maybe it was a mistake.

"Yes, Ms. Lancaster?" I heard Hart address me.

I turned back at him. "Yes?"

"Any problem?" He cocked an eyebrow.

I shook my head.

"Eyes on Hart," he said, making the eye-to-eye signal with his fingers, and resumed with the announcements.

I quietly settled back in my chair. Something that set my jaws to the edge was that I heard Ugly Narcissus behind me chuckle. I knew it was him!

Fifteen minutes later, the bell rang, indicating the end of homeroom. Half the students immediately leaped up from their seats to leave for the first class.

As I picked up my backpack from my desk, I heard Ugly Narcissus whisper over my right ear. "We meet again, Mongrel."

Startled, I whirled my head to find my face less than an inch away from his. I know I shouldn't be this startled but there was something about the tone and the nearness. It sounded too close – way too close – and the feel of his hot breath on my skin gave me the creeps. He grinned. I pulled my eyebrows together. He chuckled under his breath and peered into my eyes. I stiffened meaninglessly.

What the heck?

Slowly, the naughty grin on his face receded and his stare deepened into mine. I stared back and found myself captivated by his deep, brown eyes. As I gazed into them, it almost felt like they were having voices of their own, calling me into them, tempting me to get lost.

"Can't take your eyes off me?"

At first, I was a bit dazed at his blunt question but, I eventually replied, "Yeah. Reminds me of potatoes."