The Return

He screamed. He screamed!(142) Montag watched with disbelief, shocked that the government murdered an innocent man instead of capturing him: the criminal of the century. Montag jumped up with rage. He raged against the fact that a government who had worked so hard to control its citizens would give up and let him win with ease. He wanted a little bit of a challenge he already had the adrenalin all he needed was something to use it on. Maybe a continued chase would have helped satisfy his body. Inside he wanted to explode, he was filled with anger and energy. He knew he needed to let it all out and go back and do what is right. So he turned and told Granger, Fred, Dr.Simmons, Professor West, and Reverend Padover "Goodbye !". "Where are you going Montag?" Granger pleaded. "I'm going to do the right thing." Montag responded with determination in his voice.

Montag ran back through the woods and hopped into the river. With focus, power, and determination, he swam trying to get back to town. "Back to the same place where I lived, where I worked, where I broke the law, and where I was shunned from being different." As Montag swam he repeated those words to himself almost as if he were trying to persuade himself to go fix what he had caused. Almost to give power to each paddle he took. These words seemed to fuel his anger, disgust and joy all at the same time. It reminded him of what and who he was. What he believed. What he stood for. But also what he broke away from.

Almost there, he could see the corner house by which he took his last breath as a wanted man and according to the city, a living man. Considering that the police just caught Guy Montag, he couldn't wait to surprise everyone who had doubted him in the past. He could see the water coming down from where Faber's lawn had washed away his the last of his known existence. He could see the dark empty street of which he had just ran down.

The sound of a car burning rubber echos down the street and by the river Montag just climbed out of. In the darkness Montag continued his journey of justice. Halfway down the street the car makes its grand reintroduction to Montag's life, speeding down the street with style, Montag running with fear. As the car roared furiously, Montag quietly panted, almost as if he is trying to be silent when the car is near him so it doesn't detect him. As it nears him it slows down, Montag sprints faster and harder causing his now noticeable pant to become louder and faster.. He gave in and stopped running, letting the car come to a stop beside him.

The person that stepped out of the car was a surprise to him. "Mildred and Beatty told me you were dead, they said you were hit by a car", he said amazed. Clarisse replied, "That's what they want you to think, they put me in exile but I found my way back." She had a fierce look in her eyes. She said " Let's strike back hard and with a bang." Montag asked curiously, "How?" Clarisse had a plan all worked out and simply replied "Follow Me!"

When they reached an abandoned building there was a helicopter on the roof with a bomb on the side. Clarisse said " You know how there's a war starting right?" Montag replied "Yes. Why?" Clarisse with wonder in her eyes said, " We are going to drop this bomb and destroy the very city and government that denied us! We are going to start and finish this war once and for all." Montag worriedly said " We have to get Faber out first." Out of the shadow the skinny old man emerged and said " It's already been done, Clarisse and I have been planning this since the day her uncle died. Her uncle and I were best friends and when he passed, I became her mentor." Montag replied " How long has it been since this was first planned?" The old man replied " Long ago we were just waiting for you to come around and release what was right. The only trick was keeping Clarisse's age a secret she is really 34. Wouldn't it have thrown you off if a middle age women asked you all of those questions?" Montag laughed joyfully," You guys are geniuses. Let's do this!"

Into the city they went. Once they reached the heart of town they cried out with joy, and all at once they hit the button and dropped the bomb. They could see the ground shaking under them as they heard r the screams of everyone in their houses, on the sidewalks, and at their jobs. In a way each scream slowly satisfied their soul, something about hearing the terror of the people who shunned and bullied them made them overwhelm with joy. They did it, they made the town achieve the heat of Fahrenheit 451.

The End