Chapter 91

2nd last chapter.... Warning! You might cry here...

____________________________________________________________________________

**Fred’s POV**

After George falls asleep again – possibly aided by a sleeping charm – I sneak downstairs again. McGonagall, Dad, Tonks and Remus are gone. Mum is still bent over Maddie and Sirius is sitting on the floor against the wall with his head in his hands.

“Mum?”

She doesn’t look up.

“Is she going to die?”

She pauses for a moment.

“I don’t know,” she replies quietly, “she’s lost a lot of blood and she has a curse on her.”

“Can’t you lift it?” I ask, kneeling down beside her.

“That’s the problem with this curse,” Sirius croaks, “the only way to get rid of it is to let it takes its course.”

“And what is that?” I ask, feeling numb.

“It’s about ten minutes of pain,” Sirius replies.

“That’s not so-”

“The pain is worse than the cruciatus curse.”

“Ah… I see your pickle,” I comment, “it’s long and green.”

Mum and Sirius ignore my terrible joke.

“If she’s unconscious, why don’t you do it now?” I ask.

“We don’t know if she’ll wake up,” Mum tells me.

“It’d be better to risk it than to do it while she is awake,” I point out. Mum looks at Sirius who shrugs.

“I’ll do it,” he says, pulling out his wand. He points it at Maddie and murmurs something. A split second later I regret ever speaking in my life. Maddie lets out a high-pitched scream that fills the air and shakes me to my bones.

“Silencio!” Sirius says quickly. Maddie’s face contorts with pain and she arches her back, writhing in agony.

“God, Sirius, make it stop!” I cry, looking away, feeling ill.

Sirius is leaning against the wall again, hiding his face. Mum is staring at her watch determinedly.

“Almost over,” she croaks, “just a few more seconds…”

I glance at Maddie in time to see her entire body go limp. As soon as it does, blood start seeping from her wounds again.

Mum sighs deeply and begins patching her up again. I watch as she checks her pulse and freezes. I quickly lie my ear on her chest. I can’t hear her heartbeat and she’s not breathing.

“Mum?” I whisper. She has tears in her eyes.

“I’m sorry, Freddie.”