Ten

Weeks had passed since Ava and Harry's afternoon at the book fair. As the weeks went on, the temperature continued to drop. It had been extremely cold this year, something out of the ordinary for Vancouver weather. In hindsight, the unusual weather seemed almost perfect with the unusual feelings the two had been feeling for one another. Granted, neither would admit to their feelings. 

With each cold passing day the usual down pour of rain began to turn into snow. What was usually grey and slushy, had been replaced with a white silky powder. The holidays had finally come. 

Ava could not contain her excitement to finally have a week off for the Christmas season. Being devoted Catholics, Luca and Mita shut down the cafe for the week of Christmas. This left Ava with a week of much needed rest. That in itself was a Christmas miracle.

All throughout Ava's childhood, Christmas was the most magical time of the year. Her parents had made sure that she had the best. She could remember so vividly each day leading up to the most wonderful time of the year. There had been many trips downtown. The streets were lit up with christmas lights, creating an iridescent glow. The shop windows were full of Christmas displays, creating unrealistic expectations for gift exchanges. Children would plaster their rosy cheeks against the local toy shop, hoping to get a glimpse of the latest must haves. Breakfast with Santa had been the high point of Ava's childhood Christmases. It had been her only chance to tell Santa face to face what she wanted that year. Many children would ask for the new barbie doll, or the new motocross 5000 - but for Ava, all she wanted was to have a baby sister. It was the only wish that she would ask for, and the only gift she never had. In her heart, surely Santa was capable of giving her this little gift. But a baby sister never came, and it was something that Ava had lone forgotten.

  For Harry, Christmas had lost its spark when he moved from England. He had no inner desire to join the crowds in festive cheer. He wouldn't consider himself a grinch. No, he did enjoy a holiday feast or a glass of hot cocoa. It was the thought of going caroling or opening gifts under the Christmas tree had lost it's allure. However, this year Christmas would be different. For this year, Harry had Rose and to him, that was all he needed.  To be able to have at least one family member to share the holiday season with had been more special than he would let on. Every day Harry would find himself longing for the carefree days of his past. The days of running in the English countryside with his cousin. Being able to eat ice cream for dinner or spending countless hours reading under the big oak tree in his backyard. He miss the simplicity of home. That is why he was happy to have a piece of home with him this Christmas. It was a small reminder that life is still okay, even if he sometimes felt like it wasn't. 

The days went by and Christmas was finally here. Ava woke up early by the loud sounds of Michael Bubles' Christmas album being played by the neighbors below. It didn't bother her though. In fact, it brought a smile to her face. Her morning was relaxed, beginning with a warm bubble bath. It had been the exact thing that she needed to get her into the Christmas spirit. 

While Ava was in the bath she could hear the distant buzzing of her cell phone. Scrambling to get out of the warm confines of her bubble-filled tub, she quickly grabbed her house coat and scurried to her bedroom. The closer she walked in the louder the buzzing grew. Quickly picking up her phone she brought the cold device closer to her ear. 

"Hello?" 

"Merry Christmas, Ava! It's Jacey." Leave it to Jacey to interrupt her moment of peaceful me-time. 

"Merry Christmas to you too! What's up?" 

"I wanted to know if we were still on for Chinese food and A Christmas story?" 

"Of course, I would never break tradition." Since Ava's mother passed away, Jacey had brought it upon herself to give Ava a family Christmas tradition. Both Ava and Jacey had lost their mothers over the past five years. Jacey, who's father left her family when she was only six, was also alone. This was what brought them close. Not only were the co workers, but they were also, in a small way, sisters. They both could relate to the hardships of losing family and that brought them closer together. They were best friends.