Chapter Sixteen

Stephen watched as Rachael tried to stand up and then collapsed back onto the bed. She was having to go through a little bit a physical therapy for her injuries. Christine had agreed to come to the Sanctum and help out. Stephen felt his heart break as he watched Rachael's face contort in pain when she tried to stand up again.

"You're doing good, Rachael," Christine encouraged. 

Stephen couldn't watch anymore. He left the doorway and went upstairs to where the skylight was. The Cloak of Levitation was up here, too. Stephen looked at the glass case it was displayed in. It floated to the middle of the case. Stephen stood up straight. 

It's time, he thought. 

Stephen opened the case. The Cloak of Levitation drifted over to him. Stephen picked it up gently. As he was walking out of the room, he threw the Cloak back. It clasped around his shoulders snugly. Stephen just kept walking calmly, focusing on his goal of exiling Kaecilius to a dimension where no one would ever find him or set him free. 

When Stephen got back upstairs to Rachael's room, she looked over at him and her jaw dropped

When Stephen got back upstairs to Rachael's room, she looked over at him and her jaw dropped. Stephen laughed and held out his arms.

"Well? How do I look?" he asked.

"Very, very handsome," Rachael said. 

"Try walking to me," Stephen said. 

Rachael stood up from the bed and started walking up to Stephen. He didn't move so he didn't distract her. Rachael made it to him and fell into his arms. Stephen caught her and smiled down at her. He gave her a quick, tender kiss on the lips.

"Good job," he whispered when they broke apart. "I'm so proud of you."

"You really do look nice in that cape," Rachael said. 

"I know," Stephen said. "I think I'm ready to take on Kaecilius. Not now, of course, I want to wait until you're better." 

"Can you start training me again when I'm better?" Rachael asked. "I think I know what to do now." 

"Of course," Stephen said. "I'll try to find something like the Eye of Agamotto for you. There must be something in this place." 

"Well, go look for it," Rachael said. "Christine says I have to try and do sit-ups, so I don't want you to witness that."

"Don't work too hard, okay?" Stephen said. "I worry about you." 

"Stephen, I have to do this if I want to act on Broadway again," Rachael said. 

Stephen sighed. "I suppose you're right. But just be careful. Get plenty of rest and drink plenty of water." 

"Okay, Doctor," Rachael said, standing on her toes and kissing her boyfriend on the cheek. 

Stephen chuckled as he left the room to go look at the magical artifacts the Ancient One had stored here. He looked around at the cases before his eyes finally settled on a necklace. It looked a lot like the Eye of Agamotto. It had small, bronze, metal spheres that made up the chain with a triangle around two of the spheres. The main part of the necklace was a perfectly round gold plate with bronze beads stuck onto it. In the middle on a raised platform was what looked like a purple dragon's eye. Stephen looked at the name on the case.