5. 365 days

A/N: this was written in 2016 so sadly this has no relation to the film 365 days- that comes later on.

Alex

"SOLDIER" I yell jumping in front of the Winter Soldier and generating a portal for all the bullets to enter, like a shield.
"SHOOT" I yell.
He cocks his gun and quickly leaps out from behind my portal and begins shooting all of S.H.I.E.L.D's agents.
"Portal us out before the avengers get here" He yells.
"NOW" he orders. I screw my eyes shut and think of our base before generating a portal. From my earliest memory of waking up in hydra, I could barely use my powers but now with my extensive training and the serum they injected with me has changed me and made me stronger and gained more control of my portals.
My partner quickly steps through while I look around to make sure everyone's dead.
As I'm about to step through the portal, Captain America rolls up on his motorbike, out of uniform which means we took shield by surprise. I don't know a lot about captain America or the avengers or shield I just know that they must be avoided at all costs.
"Alex?" He yells, his motor bike screeching to a halt, a metre or so away from me.
I stare wide eyed at the man over my mask and furrow my eyebrows at him before disappearing through my portal and closing it behind me. Who the hell is alex?

"You failed your mission" Voronkov says in his usual thick Russian accent.
I walk deeper into his office, but keep my distance from his desk, the winter soldier following behind me.
"Nick fury is still alive" he continues.
"An avengers showed up, we couldn't risk getting seen commander" I explain.
"That's not a good enough excuse" he smiles.
I've been working for Hydra for a year now and the amount of people I have killed and the things I've seen and done is enough to drive a sane man crazy and rot his core with guilt. The longer I'm with Hydra the more wrong it feels, there's like this hole in my mind and heart that something used to fill. Every now and then someone would do and say something and it would feel so familiar like déjà vu. Not only that I've began feeling new things, hatred, depression, happiness even love. It was so weird to feel these emotions they all feel so new and made me weak, I hate it. hatred makes me want to punch the nearest object, depression makes me want to cry all the time, happiness every time me and the Winter Soldier successfully completed a mission I am always over joyed, even though I shouldn't be as I just killed someone, and can't stop smiling. Now love that one I'm not so sure about, I don't know what exactly love is but every time I'm near the Winter Soldier I feel weak and my stomach flutters, my heart rate quickens and I get all hot and flustered. When I told the scientist that works on training and modifying me I hear him whisper to another scientist in Russian "she's in love with the Winter Soldier, how cute" people keep forgetting I'm Russian born. But I'm scared that once hydra finds out I'll get memory wiped again. Yeah I figured that they wiped my brain, it's happens to the winter soldier more then me and he can never remember me, it's like making friends with the same person over and over again.

"I will let you both off this time, but the next mission you both fail the consequences will be double, do I make myself clear soldiers?" Voronkov yells standing up from behind his desk, he must be in a good mood, he's letting us off the hook.
"Yes sir" me and Bucky say in-sync like we have done a thousand times before.
We then get escorted away and we go through the daily routine of being patched up, injected, allowed to recover in our cells before being taken and frozen.
"Hey the man on the bridge, Captain America, he knew me" I whisper to the Winter Soldier as we leave the lab to head to our cells.
"What?" His eyes widen.
"He looked at me and said 'Alex'" I explain my voice lowering as we walk past some Hydra agents.
"Thank God it's beginning to wear off on you" he grins stopping outside our cells.
I pause in confusion and stare at my partner. Is he smiling? He looks so cute when he smiles, I never knew he was capable of portraying such emotion.
"What, soldier?" My eyebrows knit together as I lean against my cell door.
"We don't belong here, we are being controlled, our memories are wiped I'm remembering things that never happened, it's happened before and everytime Voronkov found out he would have me wiped again , do not tell anyone you are remembering, this is our only chance to escape." The Winter Soldier says in such a quiet voice I can barely hear him.
He sounded so different this isn't the Winter Soldier. He sounds hopeful, happy almost.
"Escape? Escape from wh--"
"Soldiers in your cell now" a guard yelled from end of the corridor.
"We will talk about this tomorrow" he whispers opening his cells door.
I enter and sit down on my lumpy mattress in the dark, listening to the water drip from the hole in the ceiling. I sit and stare off into the black abyss that is my 'room' and dwell on the confusion that is the words of the Winter Soldier.

That night was so restless and painful. All I could think about was what Captain America said. He looked directly at me and said 'Alex' who's Alex? Is My name name Alex? Am I Alex? I don't even know who I am anymore.
As that thought crosses my mind, it felt like someone drilling into my skull, like the most intense migraine ever.
I drop to my knees wrapping my arms around my head, a small whine leaving my lips as in it my lip to endure the pain.
"Soldier? Whats wrong?" I hear a guard yell from outside my cell.
"NOTHING!" I yell holding in a scream.
As the pain intensified these memories play through my head like a movie.

"Tony?"
"In here"
"What on earth are you doing?" I yell walking into his lab, my eyes landing on Tony who was sat in a chair with the electromagnet that stops the metal shrapnel making contact with his heart in his hand. He was wired up to a heart monitor while he fiddled away with the electromagnet.
"Right I need you to help me." He says simply.
"Yeah no kidding" I chuckle placing the coffee tray down on a nearby table.
Tony gave me instructions of what to do and in the process I electrocuted him and nearly killed him but he finally had his magnet replaced and was back on his feet like nothing happened.
"Why couldn't Pepper do that?" I shake my head at my idiot boss while wiping my hands on a nearby towel.
"Didn't want to freak her out." He says simply his eyes scanning over the screens that displayed new models of the iron man suite.
"Coffee?" I ask holding up the tray.
"Duh" Tony grins taking the piping hot drink from me.
"Cheers" I tease holding up my coffee cup.
"To my best friend" he chuckles grinning at me while raising his cup.
"Im you're bestfriend?" I was taken back at first but after I realised all I've done for him and all he's done for me it does make sense.
"Of course you are" he says before sipping his drink and instantly regretting it as he scolds his mouth.
"Idiot" I mumble rolling my eyes at him.
"Hey I'm paying you"
"Im being paid to be your friend" I joke.
"And that's how I know you won't leave me" he jokes along elbowing me slightly.
"Don't make me spill this hot chocolate over all the....science"
To most people having to remove an electromagnet from your bosses chest would be the most weird thing to ever happen to them at work but to me this is pretty average.

"Soldier it's time"I was brought out of my dream like state by a guard tapping on my cell door. It's morning? I was asleep? That felt like only a few minutes.

I got out from under the thin blanket that I didn't even realise I was under and follow the guard as part of our usual routine but this time my partner wasn't here? I know better then to ask questions.
I'm guided into the freezer and I was placed in my pod. As soon as the door closed my body instantly froze and the numbing sensation washes over me that I've been longing for.

Steve

None of us have been the same after the incident with Ultron and loosing Alex, especially Tony . They've put up a plaque in the Smithsonian by the whole Captain America section which is dedicated to her but she deserves so much more. On the bright side Wanda is fitting in well she reminds me slightly of Alex they have similar abilities and I always notice little things she does that Alex did.

"I swear to god that was her I saw on the bridge" I object.
"How could you be sure?" Natasha raises her eyebrows at me.
"She had long silver hair and glowing portals coming out of her hands, it was her"
"She's dead. I heard it all We haven't heard or seen of her since" Tony grumbles.
"I swear to god I'm not insane I saw her on the bridge with Bucky she was protecting him" I explain realising what that meant.
It's not a secret Bucky is the Winter Soldier and works for HYDRA so if that was Alex I saw that means she is alive, she was kidnapped by HYDRA and now she's just one of their weapons.
"She works for HYDRA" I finally say breaking the tension.
"Can we please stop talking about this?" Tony snaps.

Follow, vote, comment thank you!