twenty six

"I heard you're dating the Ford guy?" Xavier started to say. Ford guy? Ethan? "Yeah," I nodded my head. "I see," his response was curt.

"So what is it that you wanted to talk about?" I asked, curious. "You'll see, Xael," he answered, with a hint of...malice? I turned to look at Xavier, wishing that my eyes were playing a fool of me but they weren't.

Xavier had a dark look and a hint of a smirk on his face. He felt like another person. A stranger.

"Xavier, are you okay?" I asked out of concern and he nodded. "Yeah. Why not?" And flashed a smile for me, but my intuition told me that it was forced. You know what they say...trust your instincts, intuition never lies.

Xavier had something up his sleeve. And I am not curious to find out. At all.

"Xavier, I forgot that I had something on. Will you drop me off?" I asked, trying to sound as neutral as possible, despite worry filling me.

"No can do, there's something I need you to know," he turned to me with a malicious grin. He figured out.

"Xavier! Let me out! This instant!" My voice was rising as I began to panic.

"Shut up," he muttered coldly, ignoring my words as the continued to stare at the road ahead. I tried to open the car doors, but they were locked. I tucked on the handle, but it just would not budge. "I said, shut up!" Xavier screamed and I silenced myself.

I had not seen this side of him, and it scared me. "Now, that's a good girl," he smiled sweetly, which made me feel sick.

As I eyed the steering wheel, an idea came to me and I began to put my hands on the wheel and tried to swerve the car to a stop. However, before I could cause anything to happen, a blow against my head knocked me unconscious.

*

When I regained consciousness again, I was in a dark room with a high ceiling and the only light source was from a little window located at the very top. The place did not spell pleasant, and the odor of rust and oil filled my nostrils every time I tried to breathe. I tried to move my arms, which felt sore, only to realize that I was bound to the chair that I was sitting on. I tried to make any sort of noise, to call for help, but a duct tape was taped over my mouth and I could not form any words.

I tried to recall what happened earlier, but was met with a head ache. Which idiot hit me so hard on the head? I tried to project my voice and a minute later, in walked an unfamiliar men who seemed to be in his 40s and Xavier following right behind him.

What...?

My eyes widened and memories from when I was with Xavier in his car flashed before my eyes.

Did Xavier just kidnap me? But why?

I tried to ask a question and Xavier walked over and yanked the duct tape off my lips. Ouch. I winced at the pain.

"Why am I here?" I asked, anger consuming me. Before Xavier could reply, the man who came in with Xavier answered. "I heard you're Ethan's girlfriend."

"What does that have to do with anything?" I voiced, bewildered. An evil grin made its way up the man's face. "So the Ford did not tell you anything huh," he commented and I frowned. What's that supposed to mean?!

I turned my attention back to Xavier. "I trusted you. Why are you doing this?" I questioned him, furious.

"You trusted me?" He gave a bitter laugh. "Didn't you approach me because of Madeleine?" He asked, voice not holding any hint of emotion.

"You...knew?" I asked surprised. "Course I do, I was the one who paid her to put on an act in front of you," he smirked and shook his head. "For someone who's supposed to be pretty smart, you certainly aren't," he commented and I stared daggers at him.

How could she? I trusted her. But then again, now that Xavier pointed it out, it did not make sense indeed. I did not contact Maddie after our encounter nor did she contact me and I had not seen her around school either.

I hung my head low. He's right, I wasn't being smart. At all.

"Why are you kidnapping me? Is it because of money?" I asked, my voice seeming tired. It felt like all energy was zapped out of me suddenly.

"You should ask your fiancé that question," he answered and I rolled my eyes. "How am I supposed to ask him when I'm in this state. Its faster if you tell me," I sighed.

"Don't worry, he'll be here soon," he answered, smiling and my heart skipped a beat. Ethan...is coming?

"Xavier, keep an eye on her, I'm gonna need some beer for this shit," he barked orders and slammed the door behind him as he left, startling me.

Who's that guy?

"My father," Xavier answered as he dragged a chair and sat in front of me. "Why is he involved in this?" I asked, bewildered.

"You'll know later," he gave me a short answer.

I closed my eyes as I felt an oncoming headache. "Are you okay?" Xavier asked, sounding concerned.

I let out a bitter laugh. "For someone who hit me hard on the head, you sure are caring."

"Sorry, that wasn't me," he answered, seeming apologetic. I frowned, why did Xavier's attitude take a 360 degree turn.

"Get some rest," he told me, eyes downcast as he made his way outside.

Way to go Xael. Way to go.

I tried to yank my arms away from the rope but it was not working. Urgh. My stomach was grumbling and my throat was parched.

The only thought in my head at that moment was—what the hell does Xavier and his father want?