Chapter 47 - New Ally

Sitting on the chair isn't an accurate description for what I do, instead I stumble and let gravity do its job, hoping my bum ends where it's supposed to and not on the floor. A heavy sigh escapes my lips and as I let my head fall back against the headrest of the big chair. My whole body feels made of lead and the idea of moving feels like the most almighty and impossible thing anyone could for.

Summing up: I'm dead tired.

It's been meeting after meeting, going over so many things, sweet talking every person I shake hands with and keeping a perfect facade, like this is effortless, like I was born to lead a company and I'm perfectly fine. I have to smile and put aside whatever else is in my mind, BEEB Group being my only concern. And that is more exhausting than any picture my words can paint.

But restructuring a company, fixing everything and basically starting anew can't be done overnight and with just snapping my fingers. I actually have to do it, work for it.

The investigation to collect all evidence against Laura is still ongoing but the trial date has been set in two weeks and there's still so much to do before that. Firstly, Louise and I are trying to get rid of every corrupted little leech in the company, exposing one by one for everything they've done. By, for instance, revealing all the embezzlement they've done, forcing them to face the law and step out of their positions as board members is the simplest way. Obviously, most of them won't really go to jail and if they do they'll get out with bail, but at least we get rid of them from the company and that's an important step.

And with this cleansing come a lot of more meetings, trying to get the favour and vote of every other member in the board to support all the changes I want to take for the company, as well as monitoring the shares of those members that are leaving and trying to get more investors.

Before looking for more business partners Louise and I do a whole background check to try to learn what kind of work ethics they have and whether we can trust them or not. Laura could do all what she did, take control like that and cover everything because there were too many people who could be bought and I'm trying to avoid that from ever happening again. I need people I can work with for BEEB Group to be a company my father would be proud of, and I can work at.

It's a lot of work but I can't escape it, even if every cell in my body screams for a break. It's something I can't afford.

"Tell me I don't have anything else for the next ten minute. I feel my head is going to explode," I beg.

Louise, standing in front of my desk is checking her iPad but the moment she hears my voice she looks up and ceases looking like the general secretary but a concerned mother. Her eyes are filled with worry and sympathy because she knows how hard I'm trying, how far I'm pushing myself to make it all better.

"Sadly..." begins Louise and I can't help my groan.

I just ended a two hours meeting with a potential share holder I'm trying to get them to invest on us, but it's so hard to achieve that.

I have faith the trial is going to go well and Laura will be punished for her actions, but that doesn't mean bad things will not come to backlash against us. The scandal with the murder attempts, all the corruption coming out to light and everything else has given the company a bad reputation. Our shares in the market have dropped quite significantly so getting new investors is extremely hard. They are not keen of a company that is going under restructuring and that is under such bad light.

Still, it's better to deal with all this instead of covering it up for the bad press.

Sorry, Louise continues what she was saying, "You do have a meeting. She should arrive any minute now. But I don't think this will be a bad meeting as this one was requested and it is in the most friendly terms."