3.

I may be a bit underdressed for this.

A bit.

I watched the girls my age and a year older mingle in floor length ball gown style dresses with fancy updos before I nervously glanced at myself again. This dress wouldn't make the cut.

It was strapless, coming to just above my knees and hugging my figure in all the right places. I'd left my hair loose after a quick wash and brush and it was drying in waves on my shoulder. A chunky gold bracelet was all the accessories I had. What was I thinking? This was dress meant for a club, not a school dance. I glanced down at the message Eric had finally deigned to reply to and then back up before deciding to hurry out of there.

The night was humid and absolutely still. Mich had dropped me off in front of what appeared to be the school building and driven away. I just followed the lights and the sound of people. The building was huge. Something I'd expect that would be a revered monument or some ancient ruins.

But you could see the modern touch in it. The AC vents, hardened windows. The right wing seemed newer and there had obviously been some renovations done. It had a lot of arches and French windows and a few balconies on the upper floors. Studying here must be quite nice.

The scuffle of footsteps hit my ears and Eric emerged from the doorway with an annoyed expression. He immediately spotted me and started walking towards me. The night was dark and I was wearing a cropped jacket to protect against the possibility of a breeze so my outfit was clearly visible to him. He slowed within a few yards from me and I could see him scan my body.

"Uh, hi." I said awkwardly. He didn't reply. "As you may have noticed, I'm a bit under-dressed."

Eric closed his eyes and sighed. "Is that really what you called me out here for?"

"Yes..." I gave a sheepish smile. "They are wearing much better stuff and I'm dressed like I'm ready to go club-hopping."

"They look like uptight prisses." He threw a hand out, gesturing in the direction of the dance. "They can barely move in those dresses and they're more worried about messing their hair up than having fun. And gossip. Lots of gossip."

I grimaced. "That doesn't sound fun... maybe I should go back?"

Eric scoffed and moved forward, clasping my wrist. "Nonsense. You look better than anyone in there and more practically dressed. Come on, the Water Regent is about to begin speaking and we don't want to be late."

When we entered the school once again, the pounding bass had stopped and there was absolute silence. Eric cussed to himself and increased his pace, I followed as best as I could on heels and we made it through the open doors right as a very fit, middle-aged man took the stage.

His black hair was greying but his face was still young. A well-trimmed beard dotted with white adorned his strong chin. Crystal blue eyes darted across the gym as he came up to the mic and a hush deeper than the earlier hush fell. Not a terrified or bored kind, a reverential one.

"Kneel." Hissed Eric right as everybody on the dance floor lowered their forms. I wasted no time in dropping to the ground on one knee and keeping my head lowered like Eric's. Mich should have taught me at least something about our customs.

"Oh, come on." Came a deep voice through the speakers. "Don't kneel for this old man. Rise. You'll regret doing this in the future."

There were a few chuckles mostly from his delegation and I saw a few men dressed in all black surround the stage and move towards the entrance where we were standing. I tugged Eric's sleeve to make him notice and he gave a small nod before walking a little further into the crowd. Nobody had noticed or commented on my dress. We were in the back of the crowd.