Chapter 4

Before I start, just a word: I just wanted to say that I write this story to relieve stress off my mind. It doesn't necessarily have to be good, and it's basically just a plot line going on in my mind that I decided to put into words, and decided to share it for maybe someone would be interested in reading it. So I only do it for fun, and to give my mind a break from working overtime. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy it.
_____________________________

"Soon".

The word bounced around in my head. It didn't sound right. It sounded so... Threatening. As if he was saying that he'll be here soon whether he likes it or not.

Could it be that Isaac didn't like the idea of having a 16 year old step brother too? I mean I came here, even if it was more of an escape route rather than a personal choice. I still don't like the fact that my whole lifestyle is going to change. New house means new rules. And it's not only me and mom alone anymore. I am (technically) no longer an only child. But could it be that he despised the idea so much that he left his own home?

Guilt.

Guilt for something I had nothing to do with is what I felt. It was like I was taking over his life somehow.

I was pacing around the house indifferently. I didn't know where mom or Liam were, but I assumed they're still in the kitchen.

My thoughts wandered back to Isaac. Did he feel like I was a replacement of him? Did he think that mom is like the evil stepmother from Cinderella? Mom is not evil or mean in any way. She could be a little annoying at times, but never mean. What if it were worse? What if he thought his dad was replacing his mom with mine? I know that some people think that way and it's wrong most of the times. What happened to his mother anyway? I made a mental note to ask mom about it later, but right then, I just needed a walk.

"Mom, " I yelled, and my voice fricking echoed around the house because of how big it is. "I'm going for a walk" I said as I saw mom's figure emerge from the kitchen. I was right at the front door.
"Where to honey? We've only been here for like an hour" she said after checking her watch. "plus it's already night, you'd be lost in mere seconds". I hate it when she has a point.

I took two steps away from the door, and retreated my hand back to my side. Hesitant nonetheless.
"Yeah you're probably right". Mom was giving me the usual I-Know-You're-Overthinking-And-Beating-Yourself-Up-On-The-Inside look.

"Why don't you busy yourself. Take your stuff up and unpack while I get dinner ready".

"We'll go get some takeout. You must be really tired from driving all the way here" Liam pitched in. It was weird. It was always me and mom. Only us. Now a 3rd voice is involved, and there will be a 4th when the mysterious Isaac arrives.

"Fine I'll take a walk around town tomorrow". I started towards the stairs, after grabbing one of my boxes that are stacked next to the staircase.

"What do you want for dinner?" Liam asked.

"Anything with corn" I simply stated.

"You weren't kidding when you said he's obsessed with corn" I heard Liam whisper to mom. I saw her shrug.

"Heard that" I said without even turning around.

I wondered if I should unpack in my room or Isaac's. I would probably mess everything up in my "under construction"  room, and that would probably annoy Liam, which in turn will annoy mom, so I decided against it.

I managed to squeeze out my hand and turn the handle, and pushed the door open with my leg.

Everything in my box was scrambled on the floor. The box was scrambled on the floor. I, was scrambled on the floor. My clumsy self landed me face first into the new bedroom floor. It tasted like mop water. (Don't ask me how I know what mop water tastes like.)