Chapter 23

Hey guys, sorry this took forever to get up! I have been super busy! Thanks for waiting, and enjoy!

***

It takes me over thirty minutes to find my way back to my room that night. I had paid no attention whatsoever when Draco led me to the pool, and after his abrupt departure, I had absolutely no idea where I was going. Navigating this place is like trying to solve a jigsaw puzzle.

I wake up when the sun begins to filter through the shades of my window, casting mellow rays into the darkness of my room. I realize I have slept in considerably late - 10:00 or 11:00, at the latest. I can't even remember how late I ended up staying awake last night.

I swing my feet over the edge of the bed, and cup my cheeks in my hands. Draco has probably opted out on us starting the project today. I'm assuming he'll make no attempt to talk to me, so I'll just have to continue it by myself.

Although I came here for the sole purpose of doing this damned project, it seems like the only thing I haven't done within the past few days.

I navigate my way to the staircase, and enter the dining room, where Draco sits with his head in his hands, his mother leaning across the table, a look of concern etched across her face. I come to a sudden halt - smart enough to know that I've obviously just intruded in on something, and should probably leave.

Draco looks up, and I can feel my cheeks go red as all of the memories from the previous night rush back into my head. The way he looked at me, touched me. But his face turns stone cold, and he briskly stands up and walks out of the room without a word, his shoulder brushing against mine as he passes me.

I'm left with his mother, who stares after him with an unreadable emotion lingering in her eyes.

"Good morning." I say, pretending that I didn't hear her call me a mudblood a few days ago.

"Jennifer." She says, still staring after her troubled son, "How would you like to go to Diagon Alley today? Just me and you." She says, adding the last part on after a few seconds.

I am taken aback. I was pretty sure this woman didn't approve of me, but I don't want to be rude. "Sure, that sounds wonderful." I say happily, and she lets a small smile pull at the corners of her mouth. "What time should I be ready to go?"

"How about...in one hour." She decides, tapping her index finger to the pad of her lips.

I nod my head, allowing a small smile. "Okay, I will see you then!" I cheer, and race up the stairs to get ready.

I was pretty sure that Draco's mother wanted nothing to do with me, more so wanted her son to have nothing to do with me, but she appears to like me. Why else would she invite me on a trip with her to Diagon Alley?

However, I can't help but wonder what has caused her sudden change of opinion. The thought is only in my mind for a few seconds. Even the idea of Narcissa approving of me causes excitement to bubble up in my chest.

***

Within an hour, I have gotten myself dressed and ready to go, a thick green scarf fastened around my neck.

I haven't seen Draco since breakfast this morning, and I can't help but worry about him. He seemed very stressed out, and it concerns me.

Passing his room on the way to the staircase is inevitable, and when I do, I hear strange noises from within the door.

I stop in my tracks, and gently press my ear to the door, careful to not make a sound.