Chapter 1 - Lone Girl

Ayla

Ever being in one of those moments when you wish you were dead? You just want to die? Well that's how I feel right now. My name is Ayla Holmes and I'm 16 years old. I live in a broken down apartment in Bakersfield, California.

My mother died a few months ago from breast cancer. My brother left just after her funeral and never returned. I don't know my father. My mother told me he left when I was a baby because he was mixed up with gangs and never wanted us to be involved.

After my mom funeral I got kicked out of the house in Jersey City, New Jersey because the mortgage wasn't paying. Child Services took me to a children's home because I haven't reached the adult age so I couldn't live on my own.

That's until they found out about my mother's sister who lives in North Carolina with her daughter and husband so I was sent their to live with them.

I hated living with them because my cousin was a snobby brat who only cares about herself and she thought that I was too shabby for her. I am light-skin, black curly hair, dark brown eyes and I am 5ft 7". While she is light-skin, black straight hair, light brown eyes and 5ft 5".

My sluggish figure is nothing compared to her perfectly manicure hands and model body. She dreams of becoming the world's biggest super model and only envisions me as a waitress. I hated living with her so I ran away from there to California.

When I first came to Cali I had no money and no where to live. So I started looking around for jobs and found one working as a waitress at a fast food restaurant. The owner was short on staff and was hiring without proper credentials so I lied about my age, told her I was 18 and got the job. So I guess my stupid cousin's wish came true. I lived at a homeless shelter while I worked until I got enough money from my job to pay for this apartment that i'm now in.

It only has a room, bathroom and a wide wall that's shared into kitchen/dining room/ living room. It doesn't matter to me i'm just glad I have my own space.

I have being working at the restaurant for 3 months now. I dropped out of school after my mom died 5 months ago. I don't miss school though. I hated school. I use to get picked on at school by the popular kids because I was a nerd. I got straight A's and did all my assignments on time.

I was apart of the art club. I love art. I want to be an artist in the future. And of course the popular kids thought this was nerdy so they would make me do their homework and if I didn't then they would humiliate me infront of the whole school, take away my lunch or destroy my artworks. So other than art class and art club I basically hated school.

My brother didn't say anything when this happens to me at school. He was a normal kid in school, unlike me, his nerdy lil sis. We never get along. We would argue and fight all the time so we hardly spoke to each other.

I don't even know if he's alive or dead right now because he left almost five months now and haven't contacted me since. But despite our rivalry I hope he's ok.

"Ayla you got work to do! Stop daydreaming and get the customers orders!" My boss Mrs. Maria Sullivan shouted. She's a cubby lady. She's a nice person but when it comes to work she is very serious.

"Sorry ma'am i'll get right to the orders", I said with a sigh.

It's gonna be a long day...

Question: What do you think about Ayla's life?

xoxo