Chapter Eighteen

Thank you Cheyanne for this banner! She didn't leave her username, but you did an awesome job!

Word Count: 1829

~Lexia

I stare blankly at Grayson, while he winces, waiting for me to respond to the information he just dumped on me. Phantom Wolf. Phantom Wolf. Phantom...

And as I sit there, as I let it sink into my skin, I believe him.

For some reason the idea of him being a Phantom Wolf, like Jasper, fits so perfectly. The picture of the wolf plastered to his wall. That has to be him. That's the reason why he wandered out into the forest at night. What would have happened had I followed him?

"You can't read minds, can you?" I ask, remembering the abilities Jasper has. Grayson frowns, taken aback by how calm I'm being about this.

But I can't explain it. I almost feel...Numb to the news. As I stare into Grayson's eyes, I feel nothing but understanding, and I don't know why. The idea of him being almost dead in some strange, almost magical way should have frightened me beyond belief. I think he's more worried about this than me.

"I...No, I can't read minds," he says carefully. "You seem okay with this."

I shrug, almost too casually. "You could say I know another-"

"Jasper," he finishes for me. I gape at him.

He knows Jasper. My mouth hangs wide open, and I stare at him as if he's lying to me. I can't believe I didn't see their alliance coming from a mile away. Now this is shocking me more than the idea of Grayson being a Phantom Wolf.

"You did see him at the party?" I question, wildly scraping the surface for some type of elaboration on this.

Grayson only nods.

"So if you're a Phantom Wolf...You're basically dead..." I say, hinting for clarification. Grayson reaches out, placing a hand on my knee that is still buried under the blankets.

"No. I have been cursed for a little amount of time. Unlike Jasper, I have not matured into my possible powers, whereas he has had centuries to perfect the art of magic. But neither of us are truly dead. But we can not be alive, at the same time."

My eyebrows crease instantly in confusion. What?

Grayson seems to notice my expression. "Jasper told you about his repent. Well, our forms of recovery are different."

Clearly.

"I shall allow you to kill the man behind the uprising, who Jasper has been wanting dead for a very long time. Once he is dead, Jasper's heart will beat again. And then, I will mark you, and I will contain the wolf in me forever," Grayson explains.

The wolf. The crazed, hungry for vengeance looking creature on Grayson's wall. Just by he look in his eyes, I can tell the Alpha is pained to even mention it. This is a part of him he doesn't want anything to do with.

"I understand," I tell him. Maybe I don't fully, but all I know is that I have to agree. I have to help.

This is where all my training to be a leader comes in, and I want nothing more than to use it against the man behind the uprising. It is my duty to kill him, because I was the one to start it.