34 ∞ the real deal

Day Nine ∞ Saturday

"BILL, LOOK! We've got company!" the old woman said as she carefully stepped off the porch to greet them.

Danny grinned and hopped out of the pickup truck to join Mickmi, then they went to meet the woman halfway across the lawn. "Missis Dee, meet my friend Mickmi. Mickmi, this is Missis Davenport," he said. "You could say, an old friend of the family."

"That's Missis Dee for short, dear." She took Mickmi's hand between hers and looked up at her with twinkling eyes. "Mickmi? Let me guess: you must be the young lady I didn't get to meet last week! I hope you're feeling better now."

Mickmi grinned, throwing a glance at Danny. "I am, thank you."

"Have you come to keep me company today? Or to work? Danny's always too busy, and my Bill is tinkerin' in the shop as usual. Come: you must meet my other half—my worse half he claims. Danny can manage on his own." Mrs. Davenport winked at Mickmi, then gave Danny a knowing look as she took Mickmi by the arm.

Danny chuckled and shook his head to himself as he watched them walk toward the house, then he went to the back of the truck to get the lawn mower.

He'd finished mowing the lawn and started weeding the flower beds when Mickmi rejoined him, all smiles. "I met Mister Dee. He is carving a door panel; he is very skilled. And she gave me the 'grand tour'."

He grinned. "That's Mister and Missis Dee for you. Did you see the collection?"

"From their travels? Aye. And the photographs!"

"She has some amazing stories, doesn't she?"

Mickmi nodded. "Very interesting. Traveling the world—I like that. Not as many of our cultures are left... Not as much life. A lot of it is part of our lost history. But I recognize the—" She broke off, her eyes widened as she stared into the distance, a crease appearing between her brows.

Danny held his breath for a moment. "What do you recognize?" he said softly.

Her gaze slowly returned to him, an intense expression on her face. "The three great pyramids," she breathed. "And the headless sphinx. Except yours still has a head on it..."

"Of Giza?"

"And I have never seen the legs of the Effel Tower... You have to go underground to see them—" She caught her breath.

"You mean the Eiffel Tower."

"Effel..." She ran her fingers over her brow. "I know not where that came from..."

He pulled a working glove off and squeezed her shoulder encouragingly. "Her travel memories are triggering some of yours. I guess you'll have to visit her again."

Her eyes brightened. "I mind not. It is... strange, though... to see them in such good condition..." She stared at him a while longer, then looked around at the front yard. "Was I that long?"

He chuckled. "Yeah, you were. You ready to get to work?"

"Aye."

"Well then... There's a rake up there by the shed."

A sharp whistle cut through the air. Startled, Mickmi looked up from raking a pile of grass and twigs at the far end of the yard and caught sight of Mrs. Davenport on the porch, pulling her hand from her mouth to wave at them. "Yoohoo!"

Danny put down the shears and gloves and came over to Mickmi. "She's right on time as usual; just like clockwork. Come on. It's break time."

Iced tea, sandwiches, and cookies were waiting for them on the porch, and Mrs. Davenport kept them company with a glass.