Chapter Nine

You shifted further into the comforter, wiggling down until you were cocooned up to your neck. You were facing away from Spencer, but you could feel his gaze piercing into your back. You closed your eyes, letting the stress of the last year start to melt away, slowly but surely. Your breathing slowed as you hugged the covers tightly to your body, and after a few minutes, you could feel Spencer sliding down into the bed as well, careful to keep plenty of space between the edge of the bed he was lying on and the edge of the bed you were lying on.

You sighed, drifting off to sleep before you could think further about the situation you were currently in.

You awoke in the middle of the night, burning up. You tossed the covers off of you, feeling sweaty and claustrophobic from the sheets sticking to you. You sat up in the bed, looking down in confusion, forgetting where exactly you were. You groped for the gun you always hid somewhere in your lodging, but it wasn't there. Your heart raced, and you felt vulnerable. You slid in towards the center of the bed, completely forgetting the fact that Spencer was there. Suddenly, your body was very close to his. You jumped a bit at the proximity, and fled to the bathroom to calm down.

You ran cool water and splashed your face a few times before patting it dry with the hand towel. You heard Spencer mumble something, and peered around the edge of the bathroom door frame, trying to deduce if he was awake or just talking in his sleep. He seemed to be in a bit of a fitful dream, and you turned the light in the bathroom off, heading back to your edge of the bed, being exceedingly careful not to wake him from what little sleep he was getting.

Sitting on the bed made the slightest groan, and you held your breath, wishing hard that Spencer would stay asleep. You felt hazy, the outward heat rolling off your body as your fever broke. You sat there, gazing over at Spencer every once in a while to make sure he was still asleep. You were still so tired- so out of it. How many hours of sleep would it take to get you feeling fully rested once again? When was the last time you actually got an entire night's sleep?

Spencer began talking again, mumbling in fragmented sentences. You couldn't help yourself; you didn't even really understand what you were doing as you reached out and stroked his hair. He calmed down after a few minutes of your soft stroking, sighing a bit. You began to drift off, completely forgetting to take your hand away from him.

Spencer opened his eyes timidly, wondering if you had been stroking his hair or if it was a facet of one of his convoluted dreams. It felt nice, the weight of your hand on his head. It felt even better when you were caressing his hair softly. He hummed a bit, and closed his eyes once more, hoping that you would slide back down so that you didn't wake up sore in the morning.

***

Just a short mid-week update for you! I really enjoyed writing this fanfic lately so prepare yourselves...