21: the first match

The two teams, Gryffindor and Slytherin, met at the center of the pitch. Madam Hooch said something and the captains shook hands. They then turned from each other and spoke to their teams. It was impossible for Percy to hear what they were saying, but he did see the Gryffindor team cheer and mount their brooms, not quite kicking off yet. The Slytherin team mounted theirs a moment after.

Madam Hooch strolled between the two teams, said something, and blew her whistle. The fourteen players kicked off into the air and were followed by the quidditch balls being released. Oliver Wood flew over to the goal posts on their side, Katie Bell snatched up the quaffle, and Harry rose high into the air, looking for the snitch. The start of the game was met with a loud cheer, everyone supporting their team.

"And we're off," Lee Jordan was saying through the microphone, "Katie Bell with the quaffle first, then passing it to Alicia Spinnet - nice catch - then passing it back to Bell. Oh, she misses, Adrain Pucey intercepts, who passes it to Marcus Flint. Nice bludger from Fred - or is it George, who cares - Angelina Johnson steals it," and so on. Percy, however, was completely focused on Harry, who was circling the pitch, looking around frantically.

Dean Thomas and Seamus Finnigan had made a large banner the night before that read Potter for President with a remarkably accurate drawing of Harry on a broomstick holding his fist up in the air triumphantly. Hermione, getting really into the whole quidditch thing, drew her wand and cast a spell, making the letters on the banner flash rainbow.

Still cheering and yelling, Percy saw Harry stop flying around and just survey the game. Gryffindor scored, making it ten to nothing. Harry clapped a bit, then kept on watching. "What is he doing?" Percy poked Ron. "Look, Ron, he's just sitting there." Ron shrugged and kept on yelling.

****

The score was seventy to thirty in Gryffindor's favor, and there had been no sign of the golden snitch. Harry had gone back to circling the pitch, eyes peeled for the little golden ball. Slytherin scored, making it seventy to forty, and then he saw it. Percy saw Harry suddenly speed up on his broom, headed for the Ravenclaw section of the stands. "Ron, Hermione, he's seen it! He's seen the snitch!" Percy was shaking Ron's shoulder violently. Lee voiced this a moment later, saying, "It looks like Potter's seen the snitch!"

Now hurtling after the little gold ball, Harry narrowly avoided the Ravenclaw stands and turned around, still following it. The Slytherin seeker, Terence Higgs, pulled up right beside Harry and smashed into him, sending the smaller boy careening to the right. Harry recovered quickly though, and smashed right back into Higgs. Cheering as loud as he could, Percy watched as Harry and Higgs pushed each other back and forth, both with their arms extended for the snitch.

Suddenly, Harry jerked up. Percy was confused. Shouldn't he still be chasing after the snitch? Harry's broom started bucking wildly, nearly dislodging its rider. Hagrid raised his binoculars. "What does he think he's doin'?"

"Let me see," Hermione said, grabbing Percy's binoculars out of his hand. "It looks like he's lost control of his broom!"

Percy reached up and behind him for Hagrid's binoculars, then focused on Harry. It was true, Harry seemed to be struggling to hold on. People all across the stands were just now starting to notice, and gasps and cries of fear could be heard as Harry lost his grip and fell, just managing to hold on with both hands. Percy looked behind Harry at the teacher's stands. It was Snape! Snape was muttering under his breath, looking directly at Harry. "Hermione, it's Snape, he's jinxed Harry's broom!"

"Hold on, I'll be back!" Hermione shoved the binoculars into Ron's arms, then dashed off in the direction of the teacher's stands. Percy focused back onto Harry, who was now holding on with only one hand, the broom still doing its best to knock him off.