EXTRA 2: Noah's POV

Author Note: Originally this was Noah's POV from chapter 20 from the Old Version. Now it's Noah's POV from chapter 20 New Version. Something small, but it fills the void. Enjoy!

Chapter 20:

Noah's POV

She tells us she'll be a minute as she hurries out of the cafeteria, but it's been almost five, and she hasn't gotten back yet.

"Where'd you think she went?" Rachel asks, looking over to the entrance. "I hope she's okay."

"Yeah, me too." I stand up, my curiosity getting the better of me. "I'll be back."

As I make my way out, I can't help but hope that everything is okay. Lillian isn't the type of person to tell anyone what she is thinking or feeling unless she gets called out for it. It makes the blood in my body freeze over with worry. What is with this girl? Why does she make me fret about her more than I have with anyone else?

The wind picks up its chill as I step outside. Looking left, then right. All I see are students minding their own business by the grass areas and seats, walking towards the cafeteria and inside the nearest building.

My blonde girl is nowhere to be found.

She's not here.

My curiosity grows. What could a phone call do to make her leave?

I decide not to worry about it and head straight back inside where the group waits, talking about high school days, and who we used to be before university.

Nicole spots me first. "Any luck?"

I shake my head. "She's not outside."

"She might've gone to the bathroom," Jesse says. "Lillian's grown, she can handle herself."

"But did you see the look on her face?" Rachel says, brows creasing at him. "I haven't seen her look like that since she lied about going to dinner with Noah's parents."

Raven laughs. "Pretty observant of you, Rach."

"You should call her," Rachel continues, this time turning to me. "Just to make sure she's okay."

Nerves start to kick in. "Yeah, maybe," I say.

I find her name - Sunshine - in my contacts, and call her up.

It rings. And rings.

And rings.

I frown when it hits voicemail.

"Okay," I say, "She's not picking up. That's strange."

"Maybe she's still talking to the person on her phone," Nikki assures, but her faces twists up in confusion as well. "It can happen."

"Try a text," Raven says.

I send one without much prompting.

Ten minutes later and there's still no answer.

I rub the back of my neck, feeling pressure build up from the thoughts growing inside my head. Is she having a long discussion on the phone? Did she go wondering off without knowing where to go? That doesn't sound like her at all, but it's possible.

Oh, man. Is she back in the dorm room, having a panic attack?

"Did you want to try checking the dorm?" Jesse suggests, his palms facing up. "I don't know, she could've gone back."

"Yeah, I'll check." I don't wait for their response, I just get up and go.

The wind bites into my skin as I run back to the dorm, panic seeping deep inside. I don't want her to be alone if what I thought is true, and I especially don't want her to think she needs to hide herself away from me. We just had a conversation about it this morning.

I jog the remaining distance to the dorm, jiggling the handle. Maybe she locked it because she doesn't want anyone to disturb her, in which case, I should leave her be. But she promised.

I knock on the door as gentle as I can. "Lillian? You there? Can you open up for me, please?"

The key to the dorm sits heavily in my pocket, but I know I can be patient enough to wait for her answer. Except there isn't one.

After waiting for a while, and failing to hear anything behind closed doors, I unlock the door and step inside, searching frantically for the cute blonde. The beds are empty, and the cup of water from this morning remains the same on the kitchen sink. She's not in the bathroom, which smells of our body wash and shampoo bottles combined, but the tap is dripping steadily in the sink.

My head is pounding. Surely she didn't just leave without saying anything.

My phone buzzes with messages. My body relaxes from the stress it's carrying, thinking it's from Lillian. It's Raven, asking if she's at the dorm.

I text back a definite no.

The group is still there when I come back to them, worry latching on everyone's face.

"I tried calling as well," Nicole says. "Nothing."

Raven offers me some of his food. "How about we just wait until she responds back?"

He's always been the chilled one among the five of us. It's hard not to listen to his suggestions. "Yeah. Sure."

Conversation picks up again about Nicole's celebration for coming out, but all I can do is pick up my phone just to see if she's responded.

Ten minutes go.

Another twenty.

This time, we move to Jesse and Raven's dorm to play on their Playstation.

Another thirty passes.

It's almost a complete hour. No calls. No response to text messages.

Something inside me snaps.

Leaving their dorm, I sit outside and dial Lillian's number again.

She answers. My heart jumps in my throat.

"Noah, hi."

She sounds breathless.

"Why haven't you been picking up your phone?"

I sound pathetic over the line, but hearing her voice calms me down.

"I'm sorry. I was in a rush to get somewhere. I hadn't had time to look at my phone."

"That sounds nothing like you. You always have your phone on hand." My mind races with confusion. She freaks out if the phone isn't anywhere near her. "It's not like you haven't seen me calling you."

"I saw them."

There's a sinking feeling wedged in my chest that I can't describe.

"I just had a lot to do," she says. "I was going to get back to you when I had the chance."

Nicole parts the door and finds me on the floor next to it. "Is that Lillian?"

I nod at her just as Raven comes out, as well. Rachel and Jesse follow. They all ask questions about her whereabouts, if she's okay, what made her leave. It's like they're in my head, voicing out my concerns. And they should; she's just as part of this group as anyone else. One's worry is everyone's worry.

"I'll explain when I get back," Lillian says.

"Everything?"

My tone is tough, weary. It's not that I don't believe she won't explain. She keeps so much of it to herself, too much, that it's clearly starting to affect me. I don't want to be worried about her like this anymore. I don't want to fret about her safety when all she could be doing is heading down to the local seven-eleven for necessities.

And when she replies with "As much as I can give you," it all makes sense. I'm in love with this girl. I'd do anything to make her happy.

She tells I'm the best, but I don't believe that for a second. If I was the best, I wouldn't be fretting about her like a headless chicken. She deserves more than what I have to offer.

I vow to make sure she gets the best out of me. No matter what she says, or how little she gives, I'll be supportive. If it's going to help me understand her better, than I will. She needs my trust. She'll get it.