Chapter 10

Sleeping outside always sounds all romantic and fun and adventurous, but let me tell you one thing: waking up to the sound of a fricking annoying bird next to your tent, with everything being kind of damp from the dew and you freezing in the cold is none of those things.

I quickly snuggled deeper into my sleeping back after I woke up and enjoyed the warmth of the pillow my cheek was resting on.

That was until I realized I hadn't brought a pillow.

My eyes snapped open and I nearly screeched as I found my head resting on Hunter's chest, whose arm was flung across my middle. My heart started racing immediately as I slowly became aware of the situation I was in.

Boy touching me, boy touching me, BOY TOUCHING ME.

I tried to inch away from him without disturbing him, but he just groaned, half asleep, and pulled me closer.

Frozen in shock, I stared at the red wall of the tent, trying to figure out what to do now. I had to find a way to get away from him without him noticing the position we were in, because if he did, I was sure I would never hear the end of it.

After a few seconds I got an idea. It was kind of cruel, but this was an emergency. Plus, if it worked out the way I expected, it would probably be hilarious.

So I sneaked one arm out of the sleeping bag, careful not to move too much so I wouldn't wake him up, and lightly began to tickle the arm that was wrapped around me.

Then I quietly said into his ear: "Hunter? Uhm, I don't wanna alarm you, but...There's a huge spider on your arm." I continued lightly tickling his arm.

Hunter suddenly sat up at the speed of light, while I quickly pulled my hand back and hid it behind my back.

Before I could even blink he was out of the tent and I heard him screaming outside.

I stuck my head out of the tent and watched as he jumped around, frantically slapping his arm.

"Oh my God, where is it, Jules?" he yelled as he saw me, never stopping to try and shake the non-existent spider off his arm.

The look of sheer panic on his face was too much for me, and I couldn't contain my laughter any longer. Still sitting in the opening to our tent, I was panting, tears streaming down my face, until my sides hurt.

Slowly, realization dawned upon Hunter, and his eyes narrowed threateningly.

"Hatcher, you're dead," he called out and stamped closer, anger flickering in his eyes. "There was no spider, was there?"

"No," I said and cracked up once again.

Hunter didn't say anything. Instead, he suddenly broke into a full sprint and practically threw himself onto me, knocking me off my feet. I found myself laying beneath him, held down by his weight, as he suddenly pinned my hands over my head with one hand.

Still, despite the situation I was in, I couldn't stop laughing as I looked up at his face.

"Oh, just wait, I'm gonna give you a reason to laugh," he announced grimly.

If I hadn't been so busy dying of laughter, I probably would've gotten scared at this point, but in my condition I didn't even comprehend what he was planning to do until one of his hands crept towards my ribs and began tickling me.

"No, Hunter, no!" I squealed and began thrashing around, but he kept on tickling me mercilessly, holding my wrists down with one hand.

"What was that?" he asked and smiled mischievously down at me, while I gasped for air, never being able to stop laughing.