CHAPTER NINE - Christmas Socks

Timber woke up from an hour-long nap feeling delightfully over-excited. It was going to be such a wonderful evening out with the family and she had been looking forward to it for over a week. She jumped out of bed eagerly and Turned as soon as her fuzzy white paws hit the floor. She put on her black jeans and her forest green sweater, cleaned her ears so her new piercings didn't get infected, and brushed her shoulder-length hair. She grabbed her dark brown jacket and went down to the kitchen. Timber wondered how it was so quiet in the house. Then she discovered Emily wasn't awake from her nap yet. Grace was the only other one on the first floor and she was pouring herself a cup of hot peppermint tea.

"Good afternoon, Timber," said Grace. "Do you want some tea?"

"No, Ma'am, thank you. I'm saving room for dinner. Did you get any sleep?"

"No," said Grace. "I tried but I'm not one to nap so I took the time to clean the outside of the cabinets."

"Of all the things you could do while everyone is asleep, you clean?"

"I know," sighed Grace. "Cleanin' helps me clear my head and cookin' relieves stress. I'm all backward. I could have taken the time to curl up with a blanket and a book. Instead, I scrub cabinets."

"You're fine," said Timber. "There's nothing wrong with you."

"That's sweet of you to say, Dear, but I'm not perfect," smiled Grace. "I'm what you'd call a workaholic. I have to be doin' somethin'. I can't seem to relax. I don't even take bubble baths."

"You sleep, right?" asked Timber.

"Of course," Grace chuckled.

"And you take the time to do your nails?"

"Yes," said Grace.

"Then you relax," said Timber. Grace smiled warmly at her.

"Hello to my beautiful girls," said Chad, happily shuffling into the room. He was carrying a stack of envelopes in his hand. Some of them were already open. He dropped the stack on the counter. Timber was happy to see him walking without his cane after only two weeks. He kissed Timber on her head, kissed Grace on the lips, and looked around. "I'm missing my little blonde, though."

"Your little blonde is still fast asleep," said Grace. "You might want to go wake her up though or we won't be able to leave in time. Was there anythin' good in the mail today?"

"A couple of bills," said Chad. "It looks like the bank is trying to get a mortgage payment out of us even though we paid the full amount for the house upfront. The hospital bill came in too. It's a little steep but nothing we can't manage. We'll have to cut back on spontaneous spending for a few months and we should be fine. I'll figure out everything after the girls go to bed tonight. Oh, and there's a few of what looks to me like Christmas cards from your family back east, and the usual card from my parents."

"They're early this year. I need to send ours out soon. I can do without buyin' my usual brand of makeup and get the drugstore stuff if I run out. If we limit eatin' out to once a month, rather than once a week, we should be fine. In the meantime, I'll get cookies started while you go wake up Emily. Timber do you want to help with the cookies?"

"Yes, please," she said as Chad disappeared back up the stairs.

Timber had recently started working with Grace in the kitchen whenever she could. It had become a way for them to bond and talk about girl things. Grace was as easy to talk to as her own mother, Elizabeth, and Timber felt thankful. She found it easier to open up about things she was feeling or thinking about while she was cooking with her aunt. It gave her something to do with her hands so she didn't feel so awkward. Grace would tell Timber stories about her father, her grandparents, and what life was like growing up in Louisiana.