Chapter 68

THIS CHAPTER HAS BEEN THE BANE OF MY LIFE FOR THE PAST GOD KNOWS HOW LONG...

Enjoy lol (and listen to the song at the appropriate time...I heard it at a funeral over the summer, and Ireally like the piece).

**************************************************************************************

Chapter 68

Nick’s P.O.V:

The funeral was at ten, but the family was up and ready much earlier than that.

I guess they had to be – until then, I hadn’t spared much thought for how much work must go into organising a funeral. Many older people, I knew, planned their funerals down to the last detail so that when the time came, all the family had to do was carry out their loved one’s last wishes. But when the death was unexpected, especially with one so young, there was likely no previous planning, leaving more for the already grieving family to worry about.

I shook my head to clear my morbid thoughts and shifted my stiff position on the end of the couch in the living room.

The whole family had arrived just over an hour ago; some unfamiliar and some I recognised from Christmas. The difference between that joyous occasion and now was immense.

Even Tamsin, Shannon’s younger cousin who had flirted shamelessly when we met, was subdued and had barely glanced in my direction since her arrival. I couldn’t even see any makeup on her face, making her seem much younger than I remembered. Or, more likely, she actually looked her age. I couldn’t say I missed her inappropriate behaviour in the slightest. It was one less thing for me to worry about.

Conversations around the room were held in low murmurs, but for the most part, people were silent. Waiting. It was the calm before the storm. And I was dreading the moment it ended and the tumult crashed over us.

Shannon was huddled in the corner with her cousin Charlie, who was sans Caleb for the day; their heads bent close together as they whispered to each other. Katie sat on my left, a tissue held tightly in her right hand. I’d tried talking to her, but she was distracted, staring over at Adrian; who was conversing quietly with Charlie’s father Tom and another uncle who had been introduced as Mario. She stared at the three men, but I could tell her thoughts were far away by the almost glazed look in her eyes.

I shifted in my seat, my plain black suit uncomfortably hot. I’d never enjoyed the constrictions of wearing a suit, preferring to don old, comfy jeans and tees. It would hardly be appropriate though, for a funeral.

My eyes once again slid to the clock above the mantel. Time seemed to be moving interminably slowly, the hands on the clock sluggish. Only five minutes to go. I could wait that long. I had to.

All eyes turned to Carol in expectation when she entered the room only a minute later. She was demurely dressed in a dark skirt and blouse. In my opinion, it only served to draw attention to the paleness of her cheeks and the fatigue written into the lines on her face. But then, nobody was likely to judge her for looking a bit too pale or tired at her son’s funeral.

I grimaced at my inane mental chatter, glad nobody else could hear the stupid and insignificant thoughts running through my mind. I suddenly realised I must be more nervous than I had previously thought.

Ignoring the roomful of onlookers, Carol stepped over to her husband and murmured something in his ear. It seemed to be a signal of sorts to the rest of the family, who seemed to collectively release their pent up breath. Everything was put into motion. Purses and tissues were gathered, and arms were taken as everybody headed for the door.