Chapter Ten

The next morning, Jess was up and in the kitchen before Jen and Katie even opened their eyes. She rubs her tired eyes again and looks down at her coffee cup, willing it to move like the rest of the objects did this morning when she was getting the coffee maker started. 

"You are so going to die." Jen comments from the doorway, Jess offers a sarcastic smile before turning back to her cup. "What's up with you? You look paler than Dean when he was with Lilith." 

"Funny." Jess whispers. "I'm just tired and trying to figure out if I'm going to take this new job or not."

"What's stopping you?" Jen questions.

"There's a lot of risks involved." Jess mumbles while waving her finger in the air, her eyes following closely behind. "I'm not sure if I want to get attached to anyone...because I feel like...like-"

"They'll hurt you like your mom did." Jen finishes and Jess nods. 

"Something like that." She admits.

"Not everyone out there is like Aubrey." Jen shakes her head. "There are some good people out there, even though it is hard to believe. Some people really do want to help you and if you just let them, maybe you'll be okay in the end."

"Wow, that's actually really good advice." Jess chuckles.

"I know right, Bobby Singer is so fucking smart." Jen sighs as she starts head towards the living room. 

"Goodness." Jess rolls her eyes. Soon, her phone is vibrating with an incoming call. She sighs and looks down at the caller ID before answering. 

Phil.

"I thought you said to relax?" Jess questions as she quickly walks to her room. "You calling isn't relaxing." 

"Agent, we really need to come up with a name for you." A feminine sounding voice states over the line. 

"Um, Phil did you get hit in the nuts or is this just someone using his phone?" Jess demands.

"I'm Skye, the one who was in your apartment." The woman replies.

"That's comforting," She mumbles.

"So, a name." Skye mutters.

"Did you just call to chat?" Jessica raises her eyebrows.

"Well, Coulson did say for you do get some R&R time." Skye replies. "And I do have something, but I'm just trying to figure out something cooler." 

"Should I be saying thank you?" Jess awkwardly questions.

"If you want." She chuckles. "I just thought if you were joining the Avengers....or doing your own missions, then you're going to need a superhero name." 

"A superhero name?" Jess scoffs. "Can't I just be called Jessica?" 

"No, that's lame." Skye groans. "Come on! Think!" 

"I-I've never really thought of anything." Jessica admits. "At all."

"I heard your speech, the one you gave to Coulson the other day." She sighs over the phone. "And I was thinking, you guard your heart as well as everyone elses. You seem to want to fight to protect everyone. I mean that's what we all want but...I don't know, it's just something in you that wants to be a guardian to each and every person out in that world-"

"What about that?" Jessica interrupts.

"What?" Skye inquires.

"The Guardian." She shrugs, even though Skye could not see her. "I mean, you just described all of that and no one really has to know do they?" 

"No." Skye mumbles. "But I'll add it to your file, I like it."

"Thanks." Jess smiles.

 "Anyway, Coulson wanted me to tell you that he wants you working with the Avengers this week." Skye states and Jess furrows her eyebrows in confusion. "Something about trying to change your mind....." She stops talking as a different voice harshly whispers to her. "Wait I wasn't? Oh, well I wasn't supposed to say that."

"It's okay." Jess sighs. "I'll do this for him if I have to, just ask him about the request I sent him." 

"Okay." Skye replies. "It's a deal. You need to wear your suit from the first time you met them because Fitz is working on a missions one for you." 

"Cool." Jess nods while opening her closet. 

"And yeah, just come to the base as soon as you can. Do you need someone to pick you up or something?" Skye questions.

"No, I can find my way." Jess assures her. "Just give me a little bit before you send a fleet or something."

"Sounds good. I'll meet you at the entrance so you don't get lost." Skye chuckles before offering a quick goodbye. Jess returns it and hangs up her phone. With a sigh, she sends a quick text to both Katie and Jen, explaining that she'd be going out and won't be returning till late, before she quickly pulled on her old suit and boots. 

Jess ties her hair into a knot on top of her head and grabs her backpack from one of the hooks on her door. Slowly, she edges towards her windows and looks down, gulping at how high she actually was. "SHIELD agents do this on a daily basis." She mutters while opening the windows. "You're a SHIELD agent. You can do this." 

She swings her legs out and grabs onto the fire escape that was adjacent to the window. Jess uses her other hand to close the window slightly and begins to slide down the pole, her hands shaking the entire way. Finally, her feet touch the sidewalk in the alleyway and she backs away from the wall with a laugh. Jess covers her eyes and looks up in the general direction of her window, thankful that she had brought a change of clothes so she could just walk through the front door later on. 

After a few seconds, Jess latches her fingers through the straps of her backpack and begins to walk down the sidewalk towards the direction of the hidden SHIELD base. She hums to herself as she avoids other people and dips in the sidewalks. Jess was so lost in thought, that she didn't hear her name being called nor did she hear the car horn blasting next to her. 

"Hey! Jess!" Seth breathes while resting his hand on her shoulder to stop her. Jess jumps and turns to look at him in surprise. 

"Seriously? You didn't give me a warning that you were here?" Jess scoffs. "I could've killed you." 

Seth rolls his eyes and gestures with his thumb towards the car that was resting on the side of the street. "Skye told me that you were coming in today, we're all at the tower and I asked to take you there instead. She said she tried to call you but you didn't answer, so I came here anyway." 

"You're illegally parked." Jess comments with a cheeky smile. 

"I know." Seth shakes his head. "That's why I'm asking you to get in the car, right now."  

"Fine, but can we stop for some food?" Jess questions as they start to walk towards the convertible. 

Definitely Stark's Jess thinks to herself as she climbs into the passenger seat. 

"Did you eat?" Seth inquires.

"If I said yes, would you still take me?" She chuckles.

"I'd be less willing." Seth replies.

"Then no, and I'm telling the truth, I did not eat." Jess admits. 

"Fine, we'll stop for food." Seth sighs as he pulls out into traffic. Jess smiles and falls back against the seat, her stomach growling from hunger.