A Deal

"I can't fucking stand this place." Crimson said, hitting both sides of his head with his fists. Oh, the irony was astounding! Stef didn't even aknowledge him, she was making ahabit of ignoring him. Clairece got him to stop trying to knock himself out.

"I'm working on getting us out." Camille said, planning out their move on paper.

"Do it faster!" He demanded. She whipped around to look at him. 

"I don't see you contributing!" She snapped.

"Because I can't think with this damn polka music!" What? There was no music... Camille looked at him in confusion. "There is no music." 

"Yes, there is. It's blaring!" He looked at Stef, with pleading eyes to defend him. He knew she could hear it too. "I heard it since the day I died." Stef nodded. There was music somewhere. It was their band's songs in polka form. Lyrics and all. It was terrible, she just learned how to tune it out. Crimson clearly hadn't and it was making him go crazy. 

Camille looked at the both of them, waiting for someone to verify that there was music she couldn't hear. "I hear it too." Stef finally said. 

"Oh..." Camille hadn't had anything like that yet. Ember cackled behind Camille. Great. What did the Devil's Princess want?

"You're still trying? Good luck." Camille rolled her eyes. The other two just filddled around, waiting to see what Ember would do next. Before Ember could open her flap again, a loud buzzer rang out and a voice said,

"Come get your next assignments."  Ember made an irritated face. She didn't like being interrupted.  She disappeared after that. The rest of them looked around at each other. Where did she go? 

It took Camille, Stef and Crimson awhile to find Clairece and Ember, but they did. The girls were looking at their envelopes and Ember was in an elegant, long red sparkly dress with black heels. Damn that girl changed outfits fast. "Like what you see?" Ember asked, pulling the ends of her dress and swirling a bit. Crimson looked away, he couldn't help it. That dress looked great on her. Stef's eyes lit up. She wanted something that nice. Maybe not that fancy, but something in her dreams. Ember smiled sweetly at her. "Do what he wants and you get whatever you want." 

"Wow." Stef said, smiling a big smile. Clairece didn't look up from her envelope. As much as she wanted nice things like Ember was getting, she wanted to be Saved more. Her soul was more important than all of the riches in the world.

"I'm going to go do my job now." Ember said, getting up and walking to the doorway. "I suggest you all do the same." And with that Ember was gone.

"I wish I was her." Stef said.

"Don't." Camille said, glaring at the sport Ember was. "She plays dirty."  Clairece was quiet, no one took much notice until now. They were all captivated by Ember's latest cry for attention. "What's wrong? Besides the obvious." Clairece looked up at her with tears in her eyes.

"I have to get the Preacher of my church fired for stealing from the money box. What if it gets worse? What if He makes me do even worse things? What if God doesn't let me in?"

"He will. I promise. I swear it." Camille was determined to get them out. 

"Lots of good swearing on shit has done." Stef muttered. Both girls shot her a dirty look. 

"We'll get out. It will just take some time." 

"For right now we have to do what we have to do..." Stef said, lost in thought. Was she coming with? Did she change her mind about staying? The group looked at her.