Chapter 1

There I was, just like my mom on her first day. Me. Emery Styles going to college.

The sun is peaking in through the blinders and I pull myself out of the bed. The alarm marks seven a.m. and that makes me feel nostalgic. A year ago I was preparing to my last year of high school, and now, I'm waking up to my first day of total independence.

This will be fun...

My dad has been super nervous all week, and if it wasn't for my mom, I don't know if I would be able to live in a dorm. He says that I should be in grandpa Ken's house, that parties aren't good and that I should stay away from them, but my mom says it is part of the college experience to live in a dorm and to party.

Personally I doubt I'll spent many time in the dorms. I like going out and partying with friends, but I only know my "auntie" Abby, and my cousin Addy. I don't know, but I doubt she will be my roommate. I'm begging for a decent one. I hope it isn't one of those weird girls from movies that are either total sluts, nerds or have strange phobias and allergies. I'm praying right now.

I always wanted to be in college. You know, a small step for me but a huge step for my future crap.

College is a great place to meet new people.

When I was little I asked my mom how she had met dad and vice versa. They met in college but it wasn't all hearts and flowers like in movies, they had a lot of fights, like huge fights. Even my uncle Liam joked about it, and it took a while for them to get where they are today. From the outside they are the opposites, but on the inside they are as one. My dad even got a tattoo for her...

But past and family aside, I can't wait to start.

My brother Auden and I are very close. He was thrilled to know I was going to take bioengineering. He loves music and art, but he is very interested on everything I do. And even more when I told him he could visit me. He's only 12 but behaves like a much older kid. I'll miss our conversations but me going to WSU is the best option.

As much as I love NYC, sometimes you need to part on an adventure to find your true self and purpose.

"Have you packed your blue sweater sweetie? It gets very cold in Washington!" My mom asked while folding some of my clothes. She places my sweats on my bag and at the same time cleans my room.

"Yes mom." I answered for the hundredth time. I know she's just being sure I have everything I need.

I love mom but sometimes she can be a pain in the ass... And dad agrees.

"Can we go now?" I asked her while tapping my foot. She has packed and unpacked everything twice and I'm starting to believe she's just delaying my departure.

"Emery, I'm just making sure you didn't forgot to pack anything. Remember our last trip?"

Fuck. She was right. On our last trip I forgot to pack pants. It was awful. My dad laughed and my mom told me I would have to wear dresses or her clothes.

I hate skirts. They are the worst. I refused to wear my mom's clothes and hell, I wasn't going to wear dresses, so I wore the same pair of ripped jeans for two weeks. I guess we could have shopped a bit, but my dad refused and told me it was a way for me to learn my lesson and let mom help me organize my stuff. Since that day, mom has always packed everything I needed as well as Auden's.

"Just hurry up, okay?" I said while picking my nails. The black nail polish is almost unexisting.

"All done!" She looks at me and smiles while placing her hands on her hips. Her next move it's to close my bag and then hugs me thight.

"Mom, I'm still here! I haven't gone anywhere, yet." I smile a bit as I hug her as well.

"I know sweetie... its just..." She sniffed a little. She has been very emotional lately. I hope it's not that phase.

"Mom are you crying? Is it the menopause already?" I joked and she darted me with her beautiful grey eyes and then she almost killed me by throwing me to the bed and tickling me till I'm with tears in my eyes.

"Little miss, I'm your mother and I do not except those kind of comments!" We both laugh as we stare at my star filled ceiling.

Getting your mom emotional, check.

Telling her you'll probably have to re do your first year in college, only to enjoy the parties, not check.

"I'm just messing up with you momma, come here" I look at her and snuggle remembering it will, probably, be the last time we'll be like this.

I hear my dad's voice in the hall, telling us it's time to go.

I'll miss my family, but man, we need to cut the umbilical cord okay?

And more. I'm an adult now and I'm pretty sure I can take care of myself alone.

Or am I?

(Author's note: Hey guys! Hope you all enjoy this first chapter! Leave your opinions on the comments session)