11. At Home

"Good night. Is this the Cabello's residence? My name is Lauren Jauregui"

As soon as she heard Lauren's voice, Camila's heart skipped a beat. Her legs also skipped the stairs' steps, reaching the top floor before her heart had had time to recover and beat again. She got into her room, which was located right above the front door, and discreetly opened her window so that she wouldn't miss a word of what was being discussed below. Sofi, on the other hand, stayed downstairs and got closer to Sinu, hiding herself behind her mother's legs.

"Yes, it is. I'm Sinu Cabello. May I ask what's the reason behind your visit?" Sinu politely spoke. She was quite surprised by the coach showing up that late, but refrained herself from letting it show.

"I brought some scores Camila forgot today on rehearsal" Lauren said, as she pulled some sheets from her bag.

"Oh, I see. That's very kind of you" Sinu replied, taking the papers.

"Also, could I please talk to Camila for a second?" Lauren requested.

"Uhm... I don't think that's possible. She's probably sleeping. Miss Jauregui, you do realize it's 11pm, don't you?"

Lauren glanced at her watch, a startled expression drawn onto her features.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. I've been  working in the studio and must have lost track of time" Lauren quickly apologized. Camila huffed upstairs. Maybe her mother would buy Lauren's fake shock state, but Camila wasn't going to fall for that blatant lie. She could tell Lauren knew the exact time when she arrived at the Cabello's.

"In that case, good night, Mrs. Cabello. And nighty night to you, little one" Lauren warmingly spoke to Sofi. The girl hid even more behind her mother.

"Good night, miss Jauregui. Sofi, aren't you going to say goodbye to this lady?" Siny half-suggested, half-commanded.

"Good night" Sofi said in her sweet, innocent voice.

Lauren smiled in response and turned around, heading to her car, as Sinu closed the front door. Upstairs, Camila was a complete mess. She didn't know why on earth Lauren had showed up that late just like that and she didn't know how to feel about it. She went to sleep, hoping that the next morning she'd be a little bit closer to getting the answer to those questions.

***

[7:00 a.m.]

C. Cabello: Hi! I'm not feeling really well. Can I be excused from rehearsal today?

Normani Coach: Hey there! I'm sorry but I can't really make that decision. You'll have to talk to Lauren to know.

C. Cabello: Ok. Thank you.

Normani Coach: Anyways, get well soon!

C. Cabello: :)

"Ugh, fine. I'll text her" Camila thought. She had tried to text Normani first just in case she'd be able to excuse her, but without much hope of succeeding, knowing that Lauren liked to have absolutely everything under control, even the absences. Camila reluctantly opened her coach's chat and began texting.

[7:03 a.m.]

Camz: Hi! I'm not feeling really well. Can I be excused from rehearsal today?

Camila copied the message she'd sent to Normani, not bothering to write a new one.

Lauren Coach: Hi Camz! What's the matter? Are you ok?

Camz: I'm feeling a bit dizzy, I don't think I'll be able to dance today. Can't sing either because my throat is sore.

Lauren: Are you sure you can't you come to rehearsal?

Camz: I'd rather not.

Lauren: Ok. But bear in mind you'll fall behind and that means less possibilities to perform at the VMAs.

Camz: I know...

Lauren: Get some rest, Camz.

Camila threw her phone on the bed, relieved. She had believed for a second Lauren would make her go to rehearsals. The younger girl was pretty sure the coach hadn't bought a single bit of her I'm-sick-excuse, but she honestly didn't care. She couldn't handle seeing Lauren after what had happened the day before.

Camila decided to practice at home since she had already been taught all the steps to the dance. Her coordination skills were not exactly the best, but Normani had done a great job showing her how to execute the steps properly. She ran through the song a couple of times in front of her mirror, just to make sure she got all the moves right. When she finished, she decided to call her best friend Ashlee to catch up with her and maybe, only maybe, tell her about a certain individual.

"Hey Ash!"

"Hey Mila! What's up?" Ashlee spoke excitedly.

"Nothing in particular. How are you doing?"

"Fine. I was practising guitar, as usual. I've learnt a new riff that's the bomb. I definitely have to show it to you"

"Oh, is this a bad moment to call? I can call you later" Camila said a bit worried.

"Nah. Don't worry. I was getting tired anyways. So I saw your audition on TV. You rocked, girl!" Ashlee said enthusiastically.

"Yeah, I still can't believe that happened" Camila replied, her mood somehow lighter thanks to her bubbly friend. Speaking to Ashlee always had that effect on her.

"And you chose Lauren freaking Jauregui! Like how cool is that?" Ashlee almost shouted, unable to hide her agitation.

"It's pretty awesome, yes"

"She's so so so hot. Ugh, I can't handle it. You definitely have to introduce me to her" Ashlee begged.

Camila smiled when she heard Ashlee banter about Lauren. She completely agreed with her friend on that matter, but wouldn't let it show.

Soon, the conversation changed topics and they spent more than two hours on the phone talking about everything and nothing, as best friends always do.

***

Lauren's day had been quite dull without the presence of a certain Latina to light it up. She couldn't concentrate, her thoughts often focused on Camila, rather than the contestants performing in front of her. That's why she didn't hesitate for a second when rehearsals were finally over to pull out her phone and open Camila's chat.

Lauren Coach: We need to talk.

------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Thank you for all the positive comments and kind messages. I really appreciate them (almost  as much as cliff hangers :))