Chapter 49 - Better Late Than Never

∞ᴪ∞

Chapter 49 – Better Late Than Never

“Okay,” I tried to calm my breathing, forcibly chanting inside my head.

Happy thoughts. Happy thoughts.

I wouldn’t say that I agree one hundred percent on my parents’ proposed setup but I got to admit that the whole picture of being a happy family and so on and so forth was a bit tempting. Somehow, it wouldn’t feel quite right to have Dad and Mom under the same roof. I mean that could be World War three and I wasn’t even exaggerating.

“I knew you’d see it our way,” Emma said batting her eyes at Winfred who replied with a playful smile. “I mean, it’s better late than never.”

I think a shudder just shot down my spine. Ugh. It was torture just looking at them all starry-eyed and whispering closely to each other’s ears and giggling every now and then.

Stop! I forced the thoughts out of my mind.

The thing is, I’ve always pictured my Mom as a prim and proper, iron-faced lady with a block of ice where her heart should be. On the other hand, Winfred—Winfred, Winfred, Winfred—had always been portrayed in my mind like a gallant knight in shining armor, who’s sweet but always composed.

What they were doing in front of me, which was too horrible to describe, will no doubt, scar me for life.

Just when Mom and Dad were about to get all lovey-dovey with each other, my phone rang.

“It’s Leon,” I muttered absently, thinking if I should answer it or not. Luckily for me, my parents wouldn’t be much to rely on so, out of impulse I received the call, my hands trembling as I pressed the phone on my ear.

“Sarah,” Leon said, his voice a little hoarse but soothing to my ears. I closed my eyes, waiting for him to speak again, imagining the expression on his perfectly stunning face. “You have to get out of there.” He sounded urgent.

“Why?” I demanded. Was he so devoted to make me disappear from his life? The thought just sent a wrenching feeling in my chest.

“Sarah, is Winfred there? Let me talk to him. It’s important,” he said firmly. Perhaps he didn’t want to talk to me anymore.

I handed the mobile phone to Winfred who took it rather reluctantly before I marched to the bathroom and took an ice cold shower. It felt good for a while; the icy water numbing my brain, but soon the memories came rushing to me. No matter how I tried, I couldn’t get Leon off my mind.

There was a few urgent knocks on the shower door and I realized it was Mom.

“Sarah, could you hurry up, please,” she said.

When I came out of the bathroom, Emma was already done packing. From outside my room, I could hear Winfred’s hurried footsteps all over the place. I couldn’t blame him. The house was big enough to house in a baseball field.

“What’s with the hurry?” I asked Mom as I towelled my damp hair.

“Here,” she said handing me my cardigan. There was an edgy look about her. “We should go.”

“You mean now?”

“I mean now,” she muttered.

I didn’t pester her about it. I knew better than to argue with my mother when she’s having a PMS. Something told me that I wouldn’t want to know what was bothering her.

A few more minutes and a blue Hummer screeched to a halt in front of the mansion. Automatically, the vehicle’s door opened.

Leon came running into the house and without a word, helped us carry the baggage into his compartment.