start & end

final draft

start

"one-up! yoshi wins!"

a triumphant laughter was heard as you frowned, obviously upset over the whole outcome.

you turned to your left, where the grinning 7-year-old sat up proud and superior in his racing seat, sticking his tongue out and mocking you over his achievement.

"it's not fair! i demand a rematch!"

you yelled over the booming speakers and noises coming from the other game machines in the arcade, glaring at him while he snorts rudely.

"it's a waste of our tokens since i'll still win, but fine! game on!"

his tousled black hair fell over his eyes, fueled with fire and determination to make sure he defeats you once again.

you rolled your eyes over his cocky attitude before turning back to the pixelated screen in front of you, selecting mario once again.

from the corner of your eye, you could tell he was unimpressed with his lips pursed and a judgemental look on his face, but nonetheless agreed to start the race with yoshi again.

the countdown started on the screen as you fixed your gaze on it, somehow trying to channel mario your energy and determination.

you tried your best to overtake him, but he and his dumb dinosaur pushed you off the cliff right before the finishing line which resulted in the trophy getting stolen from you once again.

"yes!!"

an exclamation came from him as he punched his fist up in the air, hopping off the chair and holding an L up with his fingers, mocking you once again.

you glared at him, still unsatisfied from the game results, sulking in your seat as you smacked the steering wheel in anger.

"what? are you being a sore loser right now?"

he exclaimed in disbelief, as you stared straight at the screen, deciding to give him the silent treatment being the immature adolescent you are.

you fiddled with the controls a little longer, waiting for him to speak up after a long pause.

but when you decided to sneak him a glance, you realised he was no longer in his seat and had fled off with your shared token basket.

a wave of panic shot through you as you scanned through your surroundings frantically, trying to spot his familiar figure.

you crawled off the big racecar seat and began taking small steps, unsure of where you were ahead in the midst of the huge arcade.

the combined loud instrumentals from the endless game booths and the dark red lighting looked like a maze in hell to the 7-year-old you, frightening you while you called out his name helplessly.

you felt so lost and confused with tears brimming in your eyes, threatening to fall with every passing second as your breath started to quicken, thinking of what might happen if you never found him and had to spend an eternity trapped here in the familiar yet foreign environment.

"boo!"

you felt a pair of hands land on your shoulder, and his ever-so-stupid giggle ring in your eyes as he jumped in front of you with a smile, laughing heartedly.

overcome with shock and relief, you couldn't help but cry, being so glad to see him.

"what-hey, what's wrong?"

his slightly bigger figure engulfed you in his arms as his mellow voice soothed you, calming you down with a few pats on your back and trying to hush your cries.