Chapter 20

CHAPTER TWENTY

Thor walked with Reece out the arched gate of King's Court and onto the country road that led to the Legion's barracks. The guards stood at attention for them as they passed and Thor felt a great sense of belonging, like he wasn't such an outsider. He thought back to just a few days before, when a guard had chased him out of here. How much had changed, so quickly.

Thor heard a screeching and looked up to see, high overhead, Estopheles, circling, looking down. She dove, and Thor, excited, held out his wrist, still wearing the metal gauntlet. But she rose again, and flew off, higher and higher, though never completely out of sight. Thor wondered. She was a mystical animal, and he felt an intense connection to her that was hard to explain.

Thor and Reece continued in silence, keeping a quick pace towards the barracks. Thor knew his brethren would be awaiting him and wondered what sort of reception he would receive. Would there be envy, jealousy? Would they be mad he got all this attention? Would they make fun of him for being carried back across the canyon? Or would they finally accept him?

Thor hoped it was the latter. He was tired of struggling with the rest of the Legion and just wanted, more than anything, to belong. To be accepted as one of them.

The barracks came into sight in the distance, and Thor's mind began to be preoccupied with something else.

Gwendolyn.

Thor didn't know how much he could talk to Reece about this, given that it was his sister. But he could not get her out of his mind. He couldn't stop thinking of his encounter with that menacing royal, Alton, and wondered how much of what he said was true. A part of him feared to discuss it with Reece, not wanting to risk upsetting him somehow and losing his new friend over his sister. But another part of him had to know what he thought.

"Who is Alton?" Thor finally asked, hesitant.

"Alton?" Reece repeated. "Why do you ask of him?"

Thor shrugged, unsure how much to say.

Luckily, Reece continued.

"He's but a menacing, lesser royal. Third cousin to the king. Why? Has he been after you about something?" Then Reece narrowed his eyes. "Gwen? Is that it? I should've warned you."

Thor turned and looked at Reece, eager to hear more.

"What do you mean?"

"He's a lout. He's been after my sister since he could walk. He's certain the two of them will be wed. My mother seems to think so, too."

"Will they?" Thor asked, surprised by the urgency in his own voice.

Reece looked at him and smiled.

"My, my, you have fallen for her, haven't you?" He chuckled. "That was fast."

Thor reddened, hoping it wasn't so obvious.

"Whether or not they do would depend on my sister's feelings for him," Reece finally answered. "Unless they forced her into marriage. But I doubt my father would do that."

"And how does she feel for him?" Thor pressed, afraid he was being too nosy, but needing to know.

Reece shrugged. "You'd have to ask her, I guess. I never talk to her about it."

"But would your father force her into marriage?" Thor pressed. "Could he really do such a thing?"

"My father can do anything he wants. But that's between him and Gwen."

Reece turned and looked at Thor.

"Why all these questions? What did you talk about?"

Thor blushed, unsure what to say.