Chapter Twenty-Three ~ Forgotten

Sirius Black?

I shrunk back in sheer horror at the sight of his hollow face and bedraggled hair. I knew what he looked like, every body did. The posters littered every free surface down at Diagon Alley, not to mention notices around the school hallways.

Yet, despite all of the warnings and whispers, I never expected him to actually pluck up the nerve to come to Hogwarts. It was foolish to think that he could get to Harry here, with my Father as the headmaster. My hand instinctively searched my pocket for my wand.

But it was in the Boggarts empty room. What could I do?

Probably the rational thing, which was to shut-up and wait until they were gone to inform Dumbledore of Sirius's presence at the school. But I couldn't. I wasn't a coward, and I certainly wasn't a pathetic spy.

A voice in the back of my head reminded me that this was the exact reason that I spent a year between the pipes of Hogwarts and St. Mungo's, but that didn't change my sense of justice. 

To trace it back, Sirius was the cause for so many things. Granted, if he hadn't of betrayed his best friend, Voldemort wouldn't be dead, or exiled. But that didn't excuse anyone of anything. Who could possibly trade in their best friend?

However, I wasn't a complete fool, so I waited for him to speak. A brief stab of shame hit me as I realised that my close companion was naively following around Sirius Black, like a tamed puppy or something.

"My good good friends..." gasped the raspy voice of Sirius, his eyes glowing.

"You understand the truth, and we are so close... Soon we shall try to get him." he continued, his voice strained by the effort.

Oh God... Leon was helping this mad man try to capture Harry... Betrayal stung me like an icy breeze, but I persevered.

"That filthy rat has escaped us too long, and he shall pay for what he did thirteen years ago!" snarled Sirius, his beady eyes burning.

Thirteen years ago. He could only be speaking of the night that Harry lived through the killing curse. I half expected Leon to jump up, run to me and pass on all information that he had obtained, but it was too late.

What if Leon had been a spy for Voldemort the entire time? Leon had complete access to my mind, I knew that instantly when he picked up on my thoughts and commented... Oh my... Leon must know that I am here!

Indeed.

I tried silently to push myself further into the trees, but they were too close together for my to break through. The only way to get out of this tight circle of trees would be to reveal myself to a madman. I had no choice but to stay.

"Thank-you for helping me thus far, but remember that I shall be the one to murder-" continued Sirius, before my mouth burst open.

"You won't kill Harry!" I cried out, pushing myself from between the two trunks.

"Kill... Harry?" stuttered the murderer.

"You fool! Did you really believe that you could do this right under Dumbledore's nose!" I continued, outraged.

"It isn't what you think, you silly girl!" he hissed, before holding up a crooked wand.

Oh... He was going to murder me now... I had forgotten what he was capable of... It wasn't a 'life flashing before my eye's' moment, it was a 'you survived a freaking basilisk, but you couldn't hold your tongue around Sirius Black" moment.

"I'm..." I muttered, holding out my hands.

But, at that moment, I couldn't utter a spell to save my life. Literally.