chapter 42

Percy pov-

I sit up and use the fence to pull myself onto my feet.

Something in my mind is trying to take over. I don't exactly know what it is, but it's telling me to take the pen out of my pocket. The funny thing is that I don't remember putting a pen in my pocket.

I put my hand in my pocket and, sure enough, there is a pen there. I take it out and the monster looks slightly worried for a minute, which I don't understand because it's a pen.

The same part of my brain tells me to take the cap off of the pen, so I do and BAM! The pen is a freaking sword!

"Anaklusmos." I whisper. This is my sword, Riptide.

I point it at the cyclops and give him a look saying 'you want a piece of me?'

Somehow he now has a giant club. He swings it at me and I barely duck in time to dodge it. I swing Riptide at the monster and it slices through him like a hot knife through butter. It dissolves into a golden dust and the smell of sulfur remains in the alley.

I slowly start walking out of the alley, but my legs feel like liquid and it suddenly hits me how tired I am. I guess it couldn't hurt to take... a nap.

I lean on a nearby wall and sink to the ground until I'm sitting with my back to the building that's covered in graffiti.

My eyes fall and I fall into a dreamless sleep.

Peter pov-

I was worried when Percy didn't show up to school.

I called Steve after her ride pulled up without her in his car. Instead, Wade had driven in with Ashleigh.

Steve says that maybe she was driving in with someone else and when she doesn't show up to homeroom, I called again. He says that he'll call her and cause 'maybe she walked and is just running a bit late.'

I'm not too convinced, but when my first period teacher saw me texting Percy, he took my phone away.

The teacher asks me to unlock my phone, but I refuse to put my password in. I have top secret avenger stuff in there and he can't see that. After class I ask for it back and he tells me to wait until the end of the day.

At lunch, I ask Gwen if she could text Percy for me. She does and Percy doesn't respond, so I ask Wade if he'd heard from her.

"I told her I couldn't give her a ride this morning. She said it was okay. Do you think she's okay?" Wade asks me.

"Why the hell did you give Ashleigh a ride instead of Percy?!" I ask angrily. 

"I've known Ash longer and I figured Percy could find another ride. When Ashleigh called me and asked for a ride, I said yes because she's one of my best friends." Wade says.

"Isn't Percy one of your friend?"

"I've known Percy for less than six months. I've known Ashleigh for 5 years. I've known her since middle school. She's like my third best friend and she lives further from the school than Percy."

"Couldn't you give them both a ride?"

"No. Ashleigh lives on the other side of town, so if I'd gotten her and turned around for Percy, we all would have been late." Wade says.

"Next time, be late." I tell him, before storming off. I go back to the classroom where the teacher took my phone.

"Can I please have my phone back?"