Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Each day feels longer than the last. Sometimes my mind plays tricks on me, baiting my logical side as to what time of day it is and whether I should be sleeping or not. After a certain amount of time passes, Axel starts wishing me good morning. If it wasn't for this, I wouldn't know when one day spilled into the next.

So far I am up to eight. Eight days. My hope dwindles and settles into a bittersweet dust around the floor of my emotional heart. Each particle is like its own piece of shrapnel, scarring me deeply. Over a week has slipped by, and no one has tried to find me.

Not Fiona.

Not Kelly.

Not Leo.

Not Bogdan.

My meals are becoming bigger now, at least - so big that I feel myself becoming stronger. Healthier. A few pounds have even managed to fight their way onto my thin stature. Despite the circumstances, I am now being fed even better than I was before the war began.

Eventually Axel removes all my leather bindings. He informs me that this is the last step in getting my strength back to where it needs to be before our first feeding. I shouldn't thank him for this, especially since there are still red welts around my tender flesh from his cruel restraints. But I do anyway.

I roll my ankles in slow, repetitive circles, staring up at the off-white ceiling. My joints and muscles are still very stiff. Up until yesterday, the only times I was allowed away from my leather restraints was to use the bathroom – a human necessity that Axel continually makes very clear is bothersome and superfluous.

Yesterday was special, though.

It was the day before the day.

And because it was special, Axel allowed me to have a shower. It was the first time I'd felt fresh, cool water against my skin in weeks. He sat on the toilet beside the tub the entire time, though. At first I didn't understand why, but the answer was simple. He was making sure his property was safe. He wasn't worried about my well-being; he just didn't want me doing anything stupid to hurt myself, and therefore, hurt his blood.

"Good morning, Finn."

Axel's voice shoos away my daunting train of thought. I stretch across the bed, once again thankful that I am no longer tied down. He brings a tray of food over to me, setting it at the end of bed and gazing down at me with blazing eyes.

Day nine.

The day.

He looks up at me and smiles, as if reading my train of thought. He urges me to scoot aside to make room for him on the bed. When he sits beside me, he folds his fingers together.

"Today is the day," Axel whispers, trying to contain his excitement.

His fangs elongate from the mere thought. The red in his are like liquid lava. They are glowing with a desire that is so potent that it starts to hurt my eyes. Any hunger I might have gained during the night quickly diminishes. I swallow painfully.

I don't reach for my breakfast. I simply sit where I am, too terrified and heartbroken to move.

"I was going to ask which way you prefer," Axel continues. "Regarding whether you'd like me to tap a vein or if you'd like me to use a needle. But I have already made up my mind."

Oh.

Axel turns to grab the tray. A plate of bacon and egg frittata sits beside a strawberry waffle sandwich. He pulls the fork off the napkin and gracefully cuts a piece of the egg frittata for me.