The Table Reunited

The first person to arrive was Gywnevere rushing towards Ector, still lying on the ground. “Oh sweet, Ector,” she hugged him tightly, causing him to scream in pain.

“Are you all right?”

“Not now, I think you broke a rib!”

“No she didn’t, it was broken before,” replied Launcelot.

“But she didn’t help the pain.”

“Lie still young Ector and take this,” said another voice.

“Ah, Merlin, this is where you were hiding,” said Ector with a smile.

“This is Merlin?” asked Launcelot.

“Wha…you never met Merlin?”

“No, he was trapped in the cave long before I came to Camelot.”

“Wow, that contradicts a lot of legends doesn’t it?”

“Not really,” replied the mage, “But then again, many things done were left unwritten, and many things written were never done…”

“Merlin, I’m in too much pain for the fancy talk.”

“Yes good king.”

“Well if it isn’t the famous Knight of the Cart.”

Ector didn’t recognize the voice, but Launcelot’s voice was filled with joy.

“Palamides! I’d embrace you, but you see I’m in a bit of a predicament here.”

“Not a problem, Safir, Culwech, help me get our friend off the ground.”

The men lifted Launcelot off the ground as Sir Kay and the others arrived to the scene. “By Jesu, look who’s here!” the old knight cried out.

“It’s been a long time old friend.”

“That it has Sir Palamedes, or do we call by your new title now, Duke of Provence?”

“It is the old title that I say with the greatest pride.”

“As do I,” cried another voice from the forest.

The men, now lifting Ector turned to find a knight in Viking armor and a finely dressed knight approaching on horse, “Who knew this would be a reunion, then? Sir Melleaus de Lile and the ever punctual La Cote Male Taile, what brings you men to our kingdom again?”

“We came to honor the new king, and serve him as we did his father,” said Melleaus de Lile.

“And if my brother is willing to serve a new king, then will I be an ally and friend,” said Gorm as he and his retinue arrived to the gathering party.

“Gorm, my God you’ve grown!” said Melleuas.

“Aye, and you as well.”

“I…I wish father was here. He would love to have seen this.”

Gorm’s eyes watered, but he quickly wiped them away, “It is for us the living to ensure that the legacy he began lives on. Though I to wish he was here to witness such a gathering of fine men and warriors.”

Ector looked at the men, young and old, seasoned to the horrors of war and those still learning their new trade. But what left the greatest impression was the few men of the Round Table who still survived. Of a hundred and fifty men who once sat at his father’s table, he only saw fifteen men who carried to dragon’s head on their armor. It was both a joyous and tragic sight to witness.

Ector heard heavy footsteps approach them and saw Grendel and Llewiquin coming up to them. Several of the knights were drawing their swords has Ector embraced the giant. “Grendel! So good to see you again.”

The giant embraced the king and spoke softly, “My king is it a joy to see you well again. But I must regret having missed the great battle between you and the Viking army.”

Ector and the giant spoke as Sir Palamedes asked, “How does the giant speak, and so eloquently as well?”

“My cave was located under the monastery of the former queen Gwynevere and from there I learned the art of speaking and with luck I would learn how to read when a parchment would fall through the cracks of the floor.”

The older knights were stunned. “This is…beyond our words to describe to oddity of this sight,” said Sir Kay.

“Would it help if I said that his father is the Grendel that Bewoulf killed?” said King Ector.

Sir Culwech threw up his hands, “All right, I’m heading back to castle.” He was stopped by Sir Bleobris who told to not be a child. Llewiquin laughed at the scene as Ulrich came up to the king. As Ector saw the squire, he was given an idea.

“Sir Kay! I believe this occasion should be made a bit more memorable. Wouldn’t you say?”

“What are you talking about, my king?”

“Ulrich in the battle showed himself worthy of knighthood, did he not?”

Sir Kay realized where King Ector was going, “That he did, my lord.”

“Ulrich, Llewiquin, Grendel, kneel before me.”

The three men knelt before the king, who unsheathed Excalibur. He taped the shoulder’s of Grendel first, “For saving my life in the rescue of the Fae’s king’s ward daughter, I dub thee Sir Grendel of Castle Guard.” He then came to Llewiquin, “For service to your lord and to myself, I dub thee, Sir Llewiquin of the Fae Kingdom.” He came to Ulrich and stopped.

Turing to Sir Kay, Ector handed the knight the sword. “I think he would appreciate it more from you than from me.”

Sir Kay took the blade from the king and paused for moment. Finding Sir Lancelot, he handed to sword to the famous knight. “You knight him.”

Sir Lancelot was stunned. Sir Kay told him, “I trained him in the same kitchen his predecessor was trained in. It would mean more from you.”

Lancelot slowly took Excalibur, his hands were shaking as he touched the blade. He lifted the sword and carefully tapped the shoulders of the squire. “Beaumains, for gallantry in battle, and for loyalty and devotion above and beyond of the call of duty, I proudly dub thee, Sir Ulrich Beaumains, lord of Pious Garde.”

The knight rose to his feet and kissed the blade. “I will serve this king and this order with all my strength. This is my family now, and no one will take that away from me.”

Ector remembered something, “Oh Grendel, I almost forgot. I have a gift for you?”

“You do, my king?”

“You heard of the giant of St. Michael’s Mount?”

“Of course, your father slew the fiend and took his treasure and his club.”

“Well, I had some blacksmiths, smelters, and other peoples who professions I can’t remember at the moment, take the club and make into a mace. I thought you would like to have it for your own.”

“I’m honored my king. I swear to use it to enforce the laws of these lands in your name.”

Ector smiled as he saw the mood brighten with hope for the future. “Come my friends, let us return to the castle and speak of joyous things at the table we all cherish,” said King Ector with warmth. The knights followed their king to the castle, and for one first time in their lives, they felt the world becoming brighter than ever before.