Chapter Eight

Chapter 8

Arabella Baine

I walked back into the tiny cell slowly, still trying to figure out what just happened. I had expected Rylan to be angry or at least lash out on me. The tenderness of his touch and the concern written in his eyes proved otherwise. Was he really changing?

“Are you alright?” his baritone voice brought me out of my thoughts. His soft brown eyes looked at me with sadness once again. Like I stated before, I didn’t need anyone’s pity.

“I’m fine. You’re the Beta of this pack and I’m merely a servant. Please don’t try wasting your time or pity on me. I don’t need any of it,” I muttered coldly before pushing the cell open. He reached out for my arms.

Normally, I would’ve flinched. But there was something in his eyes and the way he looked that had me caving in. I stood there motionless as he reached out and softly gripped on my arms. He touched the gauze pads softly and shook his head.

“I don’t pity you. I’m just concerned. Our Alpha may not seem like he cares about everyone under him, but I do. Remember that, Arabella,” his piercing brown eyes and dominant stance reminded me of someone. It was like a déjà vu.

“Thank you, Beta Jake,” I gave him a small smile. He returned my smile and let go of my arms. Coldness crept up my spine at the loss of his touch.

“You’re very welcome Miss Arabella,” he softly touched my cheeks, causing me to flush. At that, he chuckled softly. “Alpha Sauron is truly missing out. I’d kill to have a mate like you,” his eyes casted down and looked into mine. Sadness flickered upon his brown eyes. I wanted to ask him what was wrong but I didn’t want to pry into his personal life.

He dropped his hands and closed the cell. “You don’t deserve to stay here… I’m sorry,” he whispered as he locked it and handed me the key. “I don’t want any of our… Mateless members to try taking advantage of you.”

“Thank you,” I said as a broad smile formed on my face. Maybe this pack wasn’t as bad as I thought it’d be.

“You’re welcome,” he whispered as he turned and left. “Good night, Bells.”

My ears perked up at the nickname. It sounded so beautiful coming out of his mouth.

“I have a damn mate. Why am I being so affected by this man?” I sighed out loudly before welcoming the darkness.

“Wake up,” Beatrice’s soft voice rang in my ears as she continually nudged me awake. “Come on, you need to wake up. Alpha Sauron would get angry if he sees that his bath isn’t ready and his clothes are not picked out. I would do them for you dear but he’d know that it wasn’t you by smelling my scent. Now get up and start cleaning up after these mutts with me.”

I chuckled as she furrowed her brows. “I can get used to waking up to this,” I laughed lightly.

“Glad you’re up. Now get dressed properly. After, you should head up to Alpha’s room and fix his bath for him and lay out his clothes,” she hesitated before giving me a brief kiss on the forehead. “Stay safe, Arabella.”

“You too,” I smiled as I got ready and put on the little maid outfit.

How cliché,’ I thought to myself.

I walked out and retraced my steps from last night. Slowly, I turned the doorknob and walked into his room. His mouth watering scent hit me hard as my knees wobbled. I looked over his king sized bed to see him tangled in the sheets. I turned to his closet and tried to focus on the task at hand. I opened his walk in closet and picked out a simple polo and jeans for the day. Next, I walked into his bathroom and set up his bath.