Hot Coals

After standing and avoiding looking at each other for a few long moments, you turned away from Dwight and walked over to pick Ricardo up off the ground. Going to the bin of berries, you secured the lid on top; Dwight was still standing there awkwardly when you broke the silence.

"Well, you gonna help me carry this, or what?"

Nodding, he came over and grabbed one end of the bin while you held the other. Together, the two of you started off through the woods and back towards the compound. There was more awkward silence, neither one of you wanting to even look at the other as you maneuvered around trees and over fallen logs, the bin acting as an unwelcome link that kept you from rushing ahead and away from him.

After a few minutes, Dwight casually joked, "So, should I start calling you wife number 6?"

Whether he was doing it to try and break the tension, or because he really found the situation humorous, you didn't know. Either way, his words caused your hackles to instantly rise, and you turned to look at his profile sternly while deadpanning, "No, and if I do ever hear you call me that, or breathe a word about it to anyone else, I'll make sure you regret it."

Glancing over at your words, Dwight responded, "Christ, it was just a joke. Besides, you think people aren't going to eventually find out? Fucking around isn't exactly something you can keep secret around here."

"Kinda like how you and Trixie are trying to keep your own fucking around a secret?" you fired back, feeling some satisfaction as his face seemed to pale even further.

"How did you..." he began.

"Doesn't matter how I know," you interrupted. "But just so we're clear, if you say anything to anyone about what you saw today, not only will I tell Negan that it was you who let me out of the compound in the past...I'll also tell everyone about you and Trixie. I can't imagine people would take too kindly to you fucking around with a 19 year old. Would look a bit creepy to some, might even give you a negative reputation. That would be a shame, don't you think?"

You knew the words were cruel, but fear of him telling someone about you and Negan squashed any guilt you felt. Hell, what if he told Trixie?? It would be all through the compound within the hour if she found out. No, you couldn't risk that, so you'd say whatever it took to shut Dwight up.

Dwight looked over and caught your gaze, his eyes narrowed and mouth set into a thin line. "You're a real bitch."

Smiling humorlessly at him, you boasted, "Damn right I am. And don't you forget it."

You were both silent for the rest of the trip, the only noises were twigs snapping under your feet, birds chirping, and small critters darting here and there through the brush. It wasn't a companionable silence, like when you and Negan had returned from the outing yesterday. No, any potential friendship you and Dwight might've formed had been destroyed with threats of blackmail. Which was a shame...but also not, because more friends meant more people to worry and care about. And that was the last thing you needed on your plate right now.

The Sanctuary was finally becoming visible through the trees, and you felt a mixture of relief and dread at the sight. Once you got inside and deposited the berries in the kitchen, you could be free of Dwight, hence the relief. However, you then had to deal with your own emotions about this morning, and in all honesty, you had no clue what the hell those emotions even were.

Walking through the gate and to the front door of the compound, you both entered the building. Nodding down the hall that led to the kitchen, you started in that direction. Dwight followed your lead, even though part of him probably wished he could just say adios at this point, since he had completed his order to bring the bin back to the compound. However, he sighed and continued gripping the bin until you finally reached the kitchen.