Chapter 12 - Daniel

Before December 31st

AIDEN

I can't believe it. Firstly, I didn't expect Garth to actually follow through with the dare. Secondly, I most definitely wasn't expecting the girl to be Cleo.

But the surprise that hits the hardest is feeling whatever it is that's working its way inside of me. It's the kind of feeling I should only be having for Emma. It's a mixture of envy and protectiveness for Cleo, and even irritation towards Garth at the same time.

Come on, I tell myself, think about Emma. I should be thinking about Emma, not worrying over Garth taking Cleo out or something stupid like that. I hardly know Cleo. And she hasn't made it seem like she wants to get to know me, either. So why do I feel so...cheated?

My thoughts fall back to Emma. I have been planning to ask her out properly. I don't want everyone to just assume we're together, that's too flimsy. I want it to be official. But I also want it to be perfectly set up when I do ask, so I've been trying to come up with the right way to do it.
Judging by the way Garth is gazing at Cleo, he won't be much help. This is something else I was not expecting- Garth falling head over heels for her already. For some reason it makes me uneasy and my stomach churns. They just met! I thought Cleo was a girl with more wit about her than that.
A small voice nags at me inside my head. Hypocrite. You have only had one conversation with Cleo and just look at the way you feel. And let's not even start on the way you went about getting to know Emma.

It's all so confusing that I'm getting a headache. I know I'm attracted to Emma, not only her physical appearance but her personality, too. But there is something about Cleo that draws me in, almost like there's a mystery about her that wants me to unravel it. How am I ever going to figure this out? I put a palm to my forehead and groan out loud, without meaning to.

"You okay?" Cleo's voice drags me out of my thoughts. She's looking at me with concern in her magnificent green eyes.

"Huh?" I feel a bit dazed and my headache is only getting worse. "Oh yeah, I'm fine. But I should get going, so I'll see you both around. Enjoy that date." I direct my wink at Garth and force myself to act nonchalant and carefree, as if it couldn't mean less to me if they go out together.

Swinging my backpack over my shoulder, I leave the library without looking back.

~ ~ ~

On Monday morning I still have a headache. I didn't sleep well the past two nights and I'm unsure whether my oral is going to impress Mr. Hardwell or not. Nothing I do impresses him really, so I guess there's no need to get my hopes up.

On my way to history class, I bump into Cleo again, in the same place as I did when we first met. Except this time, I don't bump into her physically, rather, I come across her and another guy in the hall. The dude is almost my height and wearing a tank top that reveals the tattoo he has of an eagle in flight on his left arm. He also wears a glinting silver stud in his right ear.
He's talking in a low, menacing tone to Cleo and she's shrinking back from him against the wall. There's confusion in her eyes and her small frame is tense. It's clear he's trying to intimidate her, and I feel anger rise inside of me at the sight of it. Before my mind can process what my body is doing, I pace forward and place myself between them.

~ ~ ~

CLEO

It's just a normal Monday. Other than the fact that my thoughts keep on drifting to the whole Garth situation. I wonder when and if he is actually going to take me out. And I wonder at Aiden's reaction to the whole thing- he seemed to not care at all. I couldn't deny that it made me disappointed, but I ignored that. It wasn't the first time he'd disappointed me anyway, I should really stop expecting more from him.
Garth and I get on well enough. He isn't as sharp as Aiden seemed to be, but he is easy to be around. Still, something inside of me says that's no good reason to move too quickly with him.