Chapter 5

I WATCHED AS SCARLETT AND ESTHER happily munched on the chocolate goodness that I had baked for the girls. I watched the dark haired girl, Esther turn even more paler than she already was, under my scrutinising look.

We were seated around the round table in the kitchen. Scarlett was chattering away about the upcoming dance at school while Esther sat uncomfortably twirling a piece of her hair around her long fingers. I noticed how both the girls were polar opposites physically as well as behavioural wise and yet they were really close friends. On watching them, I felt a pang of jealousy as well as regret for not having a best friend. I was always worried about keeping good grades and look after Becky, that I had no time for friends. I sighed.

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard the doorbell ring. I hurried to the door and yanked it open.

"Good evening, Allison," A plump red haired woman greeted as I swung the large door wide open.

"Good evening, Mrs Cunningham," I greeted back though my eyes were planted on the pair of little girls behind her. Becky was chatting away happily with her best friend. Clutching onto her blonde doll and with the sweet angelic smile adorning her lips, she looked like the normal Becky she used to be. Unlike the lifeless corpse or the ticking time bomb she frequently transformed into nowadays.

"I really appreciate your help so much. Thanks for dropping Becky home," I told her gratefully.

"Come on Allison, it's no big deal. My Rosie and Becky are good friends. I don't find any difficulty in dropping her when my house is just few blocks away," Mrs Cunningham convinced.

"Becky say goodbye to Rosie," I told Becky on noticing that the conversation was turning more awkward than polite. I noticed Mrs Cunningham looking curiously into the house with her prying eyes. I shielded my body, blocking the interior from her view. Finally, Becky obliged to my request and bid Rosie goodbye.

"Thanks Mrs Cunningham. Have a nice evening," I called out, locking the door as soon as she turned her back to me. I sighed with relief. The world is certainly inhabited by some strange people.

"How was your day, kiddo? " I asked her, ruffling her messy hair. Becky looked at me, a naughty grin on her face.

"What naughty prank did you play on poor Ms Beckham, today?" I asked her with a grin matching her own. She shrugged, looking at everywhere but me.

"Becky?" I called out.

"Yes," She responded, batting her eyelashes.

"The frog one." She said suddenly. The serious face she was trying to pull was failing miserably.

"Do you mean the one you played on Hailey?" I asked feigning surprise. Becky nodded silently, containing her excitement within her forcefully pursed lips.

"Poor Maureen," I said. I can clearly imagine how flushed the kindergarten teacher might have looked. I broke into giggles which was soon followed by Becky.

Becky ran into the kitchen and I chased after her. She peeped into the room and let out a loud shriek of excitement astonishing the two fourteen year olds.

"Yay it's brownies," Becky cried.

"Hey. Becky," Esther greeted with a rare smile. I thought she looked rather pretty that way. Scarlett simply munched on the brownies. I watched Becky tiptoeing to reach for the brownies. Just as her tiny fingers reached a square, the plate was immediately snatched away by Scarlett. I sighed loudly. If Becky was recently possessed by a devil then Scarlett was always possessed by one.