Chapter Nineteen

Effie woke up to the sound of screaming. She sat up quickly in bed and looked around her room. When she looked up at the clock, she noticed that she hadn't been asleep for that long. The scream came again and Effie hugged her body.

The scream sounded like one of fear and pain. Effie shivered at whatever could be happening to the poor screaming soul. Effie closed her eyes and got off her bed. Opening her eyes, she walked over to the door and slowly opened it up. She took a deep breath and - noticing that no one was in the hallway - walked out of her room and turned down the hallway.

The scream came again and Effie determined that it was coming from the last door on the left. The door was cracked open and light was coming through. Effie crept along until she came to the door. Taking another deep breath to calm herself, she peeked through the crack.

What saw made her want to hurl. A young girl was laying in a bath tube with a thick slab of glass laying on top of her to trap her in the tube. Her face was red and she was thrashing around. Effie could see a lot of steam coming out from the tube. She wondered how hot the water was to make that much steam come out and to make her scream as loud as she was.

Effie saw a figure walk up to the tube and grab the girls face. The figure smacked it making her head snap in one direction.

"Are you going to obey now?" the figure had a feminine voice. She was wearing what all the other workers wore, but her uniform had a few splotches of red on it. Effie gulped.

"Yes!" the girl screamed.

The figure stood up straight and nodded. "Good. I'll be back to get you shortly." The figure turned towards the door and Effie took that as her cue to get back to her room.

Effie turned quickly and ran back to her room. Suddenly, she bumped into someone, sending both of them to the floor. Effie shook her head and gasped when she saw that she ran into one of the workers. She watched - terrified - as she got up and dusted off her uniform. She then looked at Effie and smiled.

"Are you alright?" she asked while extending a hand out towards Effie.

Effie looked down at her hand then back up at the workers face. She seemed genuine enough, but so did Miss Murphey.

"It's alright, I won't hurt you."

Effie - afraid that if she didn't take her hand she would be punished - grabbed it and let her help her up. Once Effie was on her feet, she tried to get around the lady when she heard a booming voice come from down the hall.

"What is that patient doing out of her room, Miss Arkwright?" Effie whipped around to see the same woman from the room walking towards them. She recognized the woman to be Mistress Humphries.

The woman behind Effie placed a strong hand on her shoulder. "I called her out of her room to talk to her. She is under my care, Mistress Humphries."

Mistress Humphries, with her hands on her hips, stared down at Effie and Miss Arkwright. Finally, she huffed and walked past them. They both stood there waiting until her footsteps couldn't be heard anymore.

Miss Arkwright breathed a sigh of relief and walked Effie to her room. She closed the door behind them.

Effie quickly sat down on her bed and looked at Miss Arkwright with curiosity. "Why did you help me just now?"

Miss Arkwright crossed her arms and shrugged. "I know what Mistress Humphries would do to you if she caught you out of your room without permission. I know that you're new here and there's nothing wrong with you."

"Well," Effie looked down at her feet and swung them back and forth. "You're the only person who says that."

Miss Arkwright came over and sat down next to her. Effie stiffened for a moment, expecting a slap or something painful to come, but it never did. She relaxed. Miss Arkwright placed a hand over Effie's hand.

"You have something special in you, I can see that." She smiled. "I know that whatever you have makes you seem crazy, but you're not."

"How do you know that I can do something? Do you know what it is."

She nodded. "Yes. You can talk and see dead people."

Effie kept staring at her feet. She moved her hands and placed them underneath her legs. "Who told you?"

Miss Arkwright paused for a moment before answering. "Linsey."