Chapter 13 - Bruises

Before December 31st

DANIEL

I'm not even sure I intended to act so meanly towards Cleo, and in such an uncalled manner, too. But it's easy to leave that at the back of my mind as I stare into cold blue eyes.

Who is this guy anyway? Cleo's boyfriend? The person she chose over me? Doesn't matter. I don't care anyways, not anymore, I tell myself. But I can feel my muscles tensing of their own accord, and I know I'm ready to lash out and show him how I feel. He senses it, and spreads his legs further apart, planting himself firmer. His unwavering glare does nothing to quench the fire I feel inside of me.

"Aiden," Cleo says. Her voice is irritatingly calm. "It's okay. We were just talking, and I was just about to leave." She reaches from behind to touch his shoulder but he merely shrugs her off, holding eye contact with me. It's obvious she isn't going to convince him.

Good. You want a fight? I'll give you a fight. It won't be my first and I doubt it will take place as my last.

All the emotion I've been keeping pent up inside over the past few weeks is threatening to escape through my fists, and I let it, swinging a punch to Aiden's jaw. I see in his face that he's caught unaware, as if he wasn't really expecting me to throw the first punch. But he reacts quickly, blocking my jab and aiming one from beneath my chin.

"Stop!" Cleo's plea is faint compared to the sound of adrenaline rushing through me.

I jump out of the way and dodge his throw, before hitting my mark with my next punch. He doubles over for a second, cradling the hard blow to his abs. Straightening up and recovering fast, he hits my nose squarely with his clenched hand, and I hit his face as well in the process.

It actually feels good to be in a fight again, as if something inside of me is only released when I use my fists. I poise myself for another attack.

But it's over as abruptly as it started, when an enraged man wearing glasses walks out of a nearby classroom and yells at us. "Both of you stop it, now! Right now!"

Although I don't want to, I stand back, and so does Aiden. I can feel blood flowing from my nose. I glance fleetingly at Cleo, who stands wide eyed, her hands white from holding her books so tightly. Her eyes meet mine before I look away quickly. I don't want to see what she thinks of me now, as if what she must have thought already isn't bad enough. Regret is already starting to set in, the way it always does once the thrill of the fight is over.

"Mr. Hardwell." Aiden nods at the man, in between heaving. I must have hit his stomach harder than I thought, and I can't help the satisfied feeling that passes through me at knowing that, even if my knuckles ache already.

Hardwell is fuming. His face has almost turned purple. "Harper! I warn you, this school does not tolerate this kind of behaviour. It's...disrespectful! Scandalous! Irresponsible! Kids these days, they never think before making stupid decisions, and you two are no exception." He turns his glare away from Aiden to pierce me with it. "And you! What's your name, boy?"

"Daniel," I grunt, unwillingly.

"Full name!"

"Daniel Farley," I scowl. The blood has made its way down to my lips now, and I cringe inwardly from the metallic taste.

"Harper and Farley, I assure both of you that you will be spending the afternoon in the principal's office! I knew you were bad news, Harper."

Cleo is watching the whole thing, looking from Mr. Hardwell to Aiden, to me. Is it just me or does her glance linger on me longer than either of them? I feel a twinge of guilt at how I spoke to her. In truth, I just want to pull her into a hug. She looks a frightened and I feel my gut wrench at the fact that it's my fault.