Chapter Twenty-Six

Hugh

I watched helplessly as Ethan sprinted back towards the building; he looked like an invincible force but I knew that not even he could survive a bomb.

Harry was a mess. His eyes looked like his mind was elsewhere and he couldn't comprehend what was happening – I knew he couldn't by the fact that he was still sitting there and not reacting as Ethan made the stupidest decision in the world.

I was trembling with fear but knew I would need to make this stupid decision, too. Harry loved Ethan and I wouldn't watch as he did this; I needed to get him and drag him out. I was a weak sod but Harry had done well in training me throughout the months we spent in shitty Australia.

It was down to me, now. For once, I needed to be the hero.

I looked down at Harry as Rushman and the nurse that had survived worked on his arm. It was time for me to step up and for once be the big brother. I had to stop be the flailing, helpless fool for once in my life.

Harry's eyes were struggling to focus on anything and I knew I wouldn't be able to make him understand why I was doing this; to be honest, I was glad he wouldn't be able to understand. Because then he would stop me and I didn't want him to be my saviour like always.

I had seen the proud look in his eye when I shot that Dawson bastard. I wanted to make him proud again.

Kissing Harry on the forehead, just as Ethan had, I bounded after him towards the house.

I slipped a little on the grass but played it off and hoped nobody noticed; I wanted them to see me running and think 'Wow. He's a tough guy.' Especially if this would be the last time people would see me alive.

No – I couldn't think like that.

I felt ashamed that none of us had thought of Jennifer when we were saying our goodbyes to poor Harvey. She must have been hiding in the wings, waiting for us all to leave so she could stay with him.

Tears welled my eyes as I ran, thinking of it. I needed to be strong, though. Ethan would kill me if he saw me crying.

He had already gotten to the front door when I ran up the steps after him. He looked outraged when he looked down and saw me but just shook his head and tore into the living room. There wasn't any time to stop me from following.

"Jennifer, what are you doing? Come on!" Ethan roared. I joined him in the living room, panting. Jennifer was clinging to Harvey, sobbing.

"No! I want to stay here!" she screamed as Ethan tried to pry her from Harvey. There was twenty seconds left.

"P-please, my love. Go – you need to be there for them. I love you, but go." Harvey had tears in his eyes too and was desperately trying to help Ethan unwrap her arms from around his waist.

It wasn't working. The timer was slipping lower and lower towards zero and she wouldn't let go.

"Jennifer," I said calmly through the brawl between herself, Ethan and Harvey, "if you don't come with us, Harry is all alone. Because we aren't leaving here without you. So by killing yourself, you're killing the rest of us. We need you – we always have and we always will. So please, I'm begging you. I don't want to die." I couldn't help it. A tear slipped out at the very end.

It would be uncharacteristic of me if I didn't cry.

And I was crying because there were ten seconds left on the timer. We weren't getting out of here. Ethan had been a fool by running back in here and I had been a bigger fool to follow him, trying to detach myself from the 'damsel in distress' name Harry was determined to give me.