049 | indium

× Horan

Experiments had to be controlled, focused on a single factor and that factor alone to get the proper result. When options were laid out in front of me, all I knew how to do was run tests, one by one, until I had certainty.

And that was exactly what I did, ever since Lynn came to my room after I kissed her in the arena that first time. I didn't have any answers that she had demanded, so from then on I was going to find them. All of the little things; taking Lynn out for pizza, talking to my chemistry teacher, standing up for Lynn in front of Bradley, and finally telling her about my rich childhood.

Now that I had taken action to get the result of that final test, it had all gone to shit.

All heads turned in my direction when I finally walked in the men's locker room for Coach's pep talk. I was a few minutes late thanks to Lynn's soft hands rubbing up my thigh. I had to stay behind in the woman's locker room to fix the problem she had created. I held my knee brace in my hand and hadn't bothered to fix my unruly hair that I had continually ran my fingers through.

"Glad you could join us," Coach said as he looked over at me.

I caught his eye but quickly looked away, not wanting any confrontation at the moment.

Across the room I spotted Lynn leaning against a locker. Her hands were in the pockets of her baggy sweats and she was refusing to look in my direction. She had managed to put her hair up in a ponytail again, but I could tell that it was hastily done because loose strands were framing her face.

I stood next to Jace at the end of the group and crossed my arms, giving Coach the OK to continue.

"As I was saying," Coach said, giving me a look before scanning the eager faces of his team. "We all know about Loughborough University, but for Lynn's sake, I'm going to recap. They're known to go after weaknesses. If someone isn't very strong on defense, they use that to their advantage. If someone on the opposing team is smaller than everyone else, they gang up on him. It's something they have done in the beginning, and as much as it pains me to say it, it's effective."

Loughborough University was one of our biggest rivals, maybe even bigger than the Doncaster Rovers. They always seemed to find our weakest link every game and pulled it until it snapped.

"There isn't a doubt in my mind that they will think Mercury is our flaw," Coach continued. A few heads turned in her direction, but Lynn continued to watch Coach expressionlessly. "But we all know that they would be mistaken."

Jace leaned over to me and whispered in my ear. "What's going on with you and Lynn?"

I looked at him, wondering how obvious it was that there was something going on, but Jace only smiled.

"I only ask because I knew you went looking for her and the two of you came back in a huff."

Coach continued talking as I chewed the inside of my cheek. Across the room, Lynn was intently staring at Coach, taking in every word. Every once and a while James would lean over to say something to her, but even then, her eyes never looked away. It was an excuse, I knew. A reason not to be tempted to look over at me, and that was when I knew I really, really fucked up.

"I took you're fucking advice," I sneered back at Jace quietly. "And it blew up in my fucking face."

"Horan!" Coach shouted. "You get here late and then proceed to be rude. Care to share what's so important that you couldn't wait to talk to Layton about?"