Episode Twenty-Seven - The Chase

The desert wasn't as interesting the second time around. As they sped through the miles of rolling dunes and abandoned signs, Alex couldn't wait to get back to the bunker. She had taken its safety and repetitiveness for granted.

The Wildlands weren't at all the adventure she expected them to be. Her only souvenir was a concussion and a bruised throat. The only useful thing she had taken from it was that she'd learned her dreams weren't fake.

Looking out the window, her view was partially obscured by the smeared blood on the glass. 

My blood.

She touched the bandage that Rollo had wrapped around her head. Blood had soaked through it. The wound would probably need stitches.

Alex couldn't remember a time where she ever had a cut that needed anything more than a bandage. Cicero didn't let her adventure around too much to get many injuries as a child. Aside from a couple broken bones here and there, which he'd always reacted to poorly.

"Did that guy say anything to you?" Ace interrupted the silence. He leaned forward between the passenger and driver's seat, eyes peering curiously over at Alex.

Carefully, Alex touched the edges of the bandage again. "I think he did." 

A haze rolled over her mind. She could remember the sound; words spilling from the man's mouth. However, all she could recall was nonsensical noise.

Why can't I remember what he said?

"I don't remember, though," Alex added.

"Something's wrong." Cicero's words pulled Alex from her thoughts.

She sat up and looked ahead, noticing the glowing brake lights in front of them. The Glider pulled to a stop.

"I really hate this desert," Ace mumbled. He checked the magazine of the gun he pulled from his waistband and loaded it once more with a loud click.

There was a line of parked vehicles side by side on the road ahead. They blocked the way completely, leaving no room for anyone to even squeeze by. They'd scrape the concrete barricades on the side of the road trying to get by the end cars, and there was no room between the vehicles themselves.

Dozens of people stood outside the vehicles, guns visible on nearly every one of them.

"It looks like you guys have found yourselves in a bit of a pickle." A voice crackled throughout the Glider.

Everyone in the Glider looked down at the radio in shock. Somehow, these strangers were transmitting over the radio and through the speakers.

"I wouldn't bother going any further. We've already found the bunker and alerted the Patrolmen to its location. It would be best just to turn yourselves over at this point." The voice continued.

Alex's eyes widened as she stared down at the radio. How could they have found the bunker? Who are these people?

She looked through the blood smeared glass, trying to glimpse in the other cars of those in their own convoy. No doors opened, no windows rolled down. No one seemed to have any reaction.

"Edric, we know you're in one of those cars."

Suddenly, the car beside them flew into reverse. It was the vehicle Vida was in. Daniel and Greg were close behind in the SUV, while Edric started backing up the truck. Before he could even complete his turn, Cicero had reversed the Glider well away from the line of cars before them.

Alex braced herself with the sudden motion. Her stomach flipped over on itself as the Glider's wheels screeched on the asphalt. It felt like the car turned around on the spot as it rushed off in pursuit of the others.