chapter six

sapphires pov

I woke up by the sun leaking through the small cracks in my blinds, streaming onto the ceiling.

I slowly turned my head and eyed my clock.

6:30am

Why the fuck is the sun already up, its autumn...

Realising I still had half an hour, I let my head sink into the soft pillow and stared at my cream coloured ceiling.

I flipped onto my stomach, grabbing my phone and placing in front of my eyes. They took a second to adjust to the blue light. I aimlessly scrolled through the untrustworthy and worthless information being thrown at me, until half an hour was up and my alarm began shriek at me to lift my droopy feet from underneath the warm bed sheets.

I softly rubbed my eyes and peeked outside the window, watching the grey clouds roll onto one another.

That looks cold.

Picking out a large black jumper and some black skinny jeans, i tied my knotty hair into a pony tail hiding the small traces of dirt, mentally noting that i need to shower that evening.

Carelessly throwing on any socks i could find, and my white converse, i swung my bag over my shoulder and strolled down the stairs.

The aged stairs groaned beneath me, the banister shuddered slightly with every step i took. I felt like each and every wall was watching me, irritated that i had awoken them from their deep sleep.

A sudden yelp shook me awake from my daydream, as i saw a little figure waddle through the hall, his shirt half falling off of his chest.

'Jasper!' I called.

He spun his large head around and grinned at me, showing me the little gap in his front teeth.
I skipped down the stairs to him, whirling him up into my arms and placing a kiss on his forehead.

He took my cheeks in his small chubby hands and put his little lips to my cheek, attempting a kiss, but ending up in a hopeless slobber.

I giggled lightly, before placing him back down on the floor, fixing his shirt as i did so. I crouched down to talk to him at his level.

'Bubs i have to go soon, is mummy or is Karen taking you to preschool today?'

'I fink mummas at work tooday,' he rested his finger on his chin in thought.

'Okay, do you want me to wait with you until Karen gets here?'

'Imma big bwoy buby, i down't need to be wooked aftwer,' he crossed his arms over his chest defensively.

'Okay big boy,' i playfully flicked his nose and straightened my back.

'Your big sister has to go to school now.'

He pouted. Then his face suddenly brightened up, like an old lightbulb switching on for the first time in a long time.

'Will you come howme earwy today?' He batted his eyelashes pleadingly.

I smiled and nodded before waving goodbye, and swiftly leaving the house.