The Battle of Lestrange Manor

"Imperio."

Voldemort held Sirius's chin in his fist as he cast the spell. He stared right into the boy's eyes as they blanked... and he smiled into his face and slowly lowered his hand away from his jaw. "We'll start with some respect," Voldemort murmured... "A kneel will suffice."

Sirius's knees hit the hardwood floor, his chin tilted upward to Voldemort, who hovered above, staring down, a smile on his mouth. A chilling collection of laughter buzzed about the circle of Death Eaters in the room surrounding the boys.

"Yessss," hissed Bellatrix, "Yes, that's right, my Lord... teach the nasty little brat a bit of respect... yes, my Lord, yes..."

"Get up," Voldemort said, taking a couple steps back to allow Sirius to rise. "Let's try something else." He smiled.

Suddenly Sirius turned. "Pugnus!" he cried, aiming his wand and knocking James to the floor, his nose bursting with blood.

Bellatrix was clapping delightedly. "Make him kill him, make him kill him, my Lord!!" She jumped foot to foot, dancing about excitedly, her thick black hair floating out from her as she spun with joy. "Please my Lord!"

"In good time, Bella." Voldemort said, enjoying his new toy. He smirked and motioned his hand... causing Sirius to wave his wand, striking James a second time, making James double over with a shout. "Aren't you going to protect yourself... Potter?" hissed the Dark Lord, grinning.

James shook his head, even as Voldemort cackled, and pushed himself up from the floor, staring into Sirius's vacant face.

"But I rather fancied a little duel, Potter," Voldemort said, "C'mon. Make it interesting, at least. He's going to kill you either way."

"Yessss my Lord!" squealed Bella.

Orion Black stared on, his chin high - this his proudest moment. But Walburga's face was less prideful. Her eyes searching the scene... her breath shallow...

"Fine," Voldemort said as James shook his head, refusing to fight Sirius, "I don't give a damn." He waved his hand and Sirius raised his wand. "Just kill him and get it over with."

But before the words could come out of Sirius's mouth - at Voldemort's command - there was a great cracking and a flash of light and the fireplace spewed forth a dust-covered form... Remus Lupin rose from the floor, his hair untidy, his clothes wrinkled from the night they'd spent on the floor of the Shrieking Shack, both his clothes and his face smudged with dirt from the tunnel. He had made his way to Mopsus's office and, not finding Lily there, had seen the floo powder on the mantle, and attempted to find his way to go to Sirius himself. Remus hadn't expected the floo to work - most of them in the castle had been disabled, after all. Now, laying on the floor of the Lestrange Manor, he looked surprised to find himself in the midst of the scene he'd come in on and blinked around, coughing.

Then his eyes locked on Sirius.

"SIRIUS!" Remus shouted, scrambling for his feet, rushing to join him, "SIRIUS!"

"Remus, no!" cried James, shaking his head to stop him. "WAIT! He's --"

But Sirius was faster. "Flipendo!"

Remus was thrown backward to the floor, landing spread on his back, his face one of betrayed shock and horror as he stared up at Sirius, tears instantly in his eyes, from both the impact and the shock of Sirius's action. "But - I don't -- I don't understand --" he stammered.