12

Looking back on it now, the plan to meet Luke Callaway in the theatre was not the best idea I could have come up with. But, at the time, it was all I had.

So there I was. Alone, sitting in the leather chairs facing the empty stage, dust filtering from the bright, Broadway-style lights that buzzed whenever they were overheating. A stack of discarded scripts sat in a corner, and in the other was the sound booth.

It had seemed like the perfect meeting place. After all, Grayson hadn't had a school production in years, not after the drama department was shut down due to budget cuts. Now it was just an empty room, only used occasionally for classes or a study hall period. Other than that, there was nothing—and no one—that could possibly bother us here.

I checked my watch for what seemed like the hundredth time. It was nearing 4:15, and there was still no sign of Luke.

I restrained from calling him, worried that I'd sound like some sort of mother hen who hovered over him whenever he was late, and passed the time by sorting out the carefully-printed sheets of paper that I had worked so diligently on the night before.

You see, I am the type of person who always needs a plan. Therefore, when it came to this—The Fake Boyfriend Scandal of Two-Thousand and Sixteen—things were no different. In my hands, I held several notes, pointers, and everything I could possibly think of to help Luke and I survive the coming weeks and—what's more—the week of the wedding.

I had enough information and notes to fill an encyclopedia, which must have been pretty obvious, because the second Luke Callaway arrived, he shook his head.

"Victoria, what is that?" he asked, gesturing to the stack of paper in my lap.

"You're late." I said crisply, sidestepping the question.

"For what, homework?"

"Ha ha," I drawled sarcastically, patting the chair beside me. "Take a seat."

He did, and I tried not to take notice of the warmth of his fingers as our hands brushed ever-so-slightly.

Clearing my throat, I turned to him, arching a brow as he tilted his head in attempt to read the words on the pages. I rolled my eyes, snapping my fingers to regain his attention.

Once I did, I began.

"These are the details that we'll have to go over in order for this to be a successful plan," I announced, my voice cool and somewhat automated. "I have listed here—"

"Have you been reciting this?" Luke cut in, with a snort.

"No," I protested, and after a slight pause, "Yes."

"Victoria—"

"Wait, wait, hear me out!" I said, the desperation in my tone becoming more and more evident. "I swear, I know it looks like a lot, but seriously, we need to think things through. I've searched up plane tickets, and—"

"Hold up. Who said anything about plane tickets?"

I rolled my eyes.

"Come on, Luke, you didn't expect us to drive all the way to Florida, did you?"

The look I earned at this was answer enough. I couldn't help but laugh.

"Look, you don't have to worry about expenses. Mom's got it all covered. You just have to show up."

But my joking manner wasn't good enough, apparently. Luke's face seemed to be going white.

"It's not the cost I'm worried about," he said, quietly, and I furrowed my brow.