Chapter 34

Chapter 34

A week passed after Thanksgiving, and things grew more awkward around the Cooper house. Bliss noticed the obvious tension between Clint and Damian, and it made her imagination run wild. What was Damian really up to? What did Clint suspect?

To try to put her curiosity at rest, she decided to question him about it one evening.

Clint had stepped out for some fresh air a few minutes earlier, so she walked out onto the back porch where he was sitting on the top of the two steps, leaning against the wooden railing.

He turned around when he heard the door open.

"Care if I join you?" she asked.

Clint motioned to a seat beside him and she took it.

"Something wrong?" he asked.

She shook her head. "Just curious."

"What about?"

"Damian. What do you know about him?" she asked.

He looked over at her. "I don't think you need to be worrying about him."
"Now, Mr. Slade, you're the only person around here that I trust not to keep much from me. I want to know what's going on," Bliss pressed.

Clint nodded. "Fine. I don't have anything set in stone, but I'm pretty sure that he's with Joe and Abel."

Bliss was taken aback. Why would Damian be with them?

"What makes you say that?" she asked.

"Well, neither Joe nor Abel can write a word, so there's got to be a third person. Remember when we took that trip to Plateau and Damian mailed that letter?" Clint asked.

Bliss nodded.

"He obviously wasn't sending it to the newspaper office. The day after we got back, we received the first note with Joe's alias initials signed to the bottom of it. I don't think this was a coincidence. I also think that, from what you told me, he put something in my drink. I never sing... even when I'm drunk," Clint ended his words with a smile.

"Well, you did this time," Bliss teased. "You also told me I was your only friend in the world."

"What?" Clint asked in a disbelieving voice.

"You did. I knew better than to believe you, though," Bliss nudged his arm with her elbow.

Clint shook his head. "You know that I had no idea what I was saying, right?"

"So you're saying I'm not your friend?" Bliss smiled.

Clint's face turned blood red. "I didn't say that at all, did I?"

Bliss chuckled. "No, you didn't. I'm just teasing you. We both know you consider me at least a little bit likable."

Clint's eyes sparkled when he looked over at her. Bliss recalled what Grace had told her about Clint and Colt arguing over her. Was it really true?

At this moment, she could truly believe it.

"Maybe a little bit," Clint winked at her.

Bliss cocked her head. Did he really just flirt?

Something really had changed drastically about Clint, and it wasn't for the worse.

Suddenly, a gunshot rang through the air from the direction of the barn. Bliss jumped and her heart stopped for a moment. Clint jumped up and jerked her to her feet.

"Get in the house," he demanded, drawing his gun from his holster.

Bliss obeyed him with pleasure as terror surged through her. She rushed into the house and watched from the window as Clint walked gingerly around the house to get a view of the barn. She heard a horse's hoofs beating hard and fast away from the ranch just as he cleared the corner.